• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Info on the Western Blot

Hi Guys

I hope everyone is doing well. I would just like some info on the western blot test.

As I understand there are different strains of HSV, some that will not be detected by die normal type specific IgG tests. 
My question is, will the Western Blot be able to detect them? Also has anybody had the spinal tap done for confirmation by PCR if it does not show up on IgG tests.

I have no lesions that can be swabbed for to do PCR test on, but I am experiencing a lot of atypical symptoms. Had the IgG done at 4 months but still came back negative.

Any help will be appreciated!

The Western Blot is the Gold Standard for testing. I didn't test positive on the igm or igg test for like 5 months. The West Blot confirmed I have HSV1. You have to order it through the University of Washington as I remember. They send you a kit with a tube and shipping box. It has to be shipped overnight as I recall. I don't think they offer it out of the US but I'm not sure. You should give them a call.