• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

What are your herpes triggers?

Hey guys, does anyone have any triggers they have identified? I used to be able to live the dirty life-caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, stress, throw in a few hormones, a couple of immune reducing illnesses and I got off scot-free. 

Later on in life, I'm like outbreak city over here. I really don't want to give up caffeine. I loooooove instant coffee! 

I'm super interested to hear if you've given up some of your vices and if it helped 😊

Hey there!

Managing herpes outbreaks can be tricky, but keeping yourself healthy is certainly key. Your immune system plays a crucial role as the first line of defense of keeping herpes outbreaks at bay, so taking care of it is essential. Like you mentioned, good sleep, less stress, and a good diet work wonders right off the bat.

Are you taking suppressive medication like Acyclovir or Valtrex? These meds can cut viral shedding and reduce outbreaks by about half. If not, it's worth discussing with your doctor to see if it's a good fit for you. Personally, I've been on daily suppressive therapy (Acyclovir) for years to protect my partner from herpes. I decided to see what would happen when I went off it for a bit (we weren't having sex after the birth of our baby, so it was a perfect time to test), and wouldn't you know it, I had an outbreak within a week! It could have been a timing fluke, but it seems that daily suppressive therapy works nicely for me.

I totally understand your love for caffeine and instant coffee! Giving up our favorite vices can be tough. If you're hesitant about giving up caffeine entirely, you could try reducing your intake. (Or perhaps even ... decaf?) 😬 I eventually switched to decaf coffee because caffeinated coffee made me irritable and not fun to be around. It took me a while to realize (my wife made the connection for me) that some of my big "moods" were actually after I had a dose of caffeine! 🤦🏼‍♂️

While identifying triggers is important, keep in mind that they can vary from person to person. Stress, lack of sleep, and certain foods are common triggers, but it's a highly individual experience. Feel free to experiment with adjustments to find what works best for you.

Stay positive and take care of yourself. Your well-being is the top priority! And what a convenient excuse to live a healthy lifestyle, right? 😄

• Like 1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

• mr_hopp changed the title to What are your herpes triggers?

@AnnieO Stress! Such a big one. I was sooooo stressed last week and then Friday was like, hello! worst outbreak ever 😭😂

@mr_hopp I'm so glad I asked this question. One of the things you mentioned was about experimenting with coming off suppressives. I've tried that too and the same result, one week and I get an outbreak. I thought there must be something wrong with me! 

• Like 2