• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I'm wondering about percentages of passing herpes ...

Hi there

I'm completely new here. Was feeling really down after being single for the first time while having this.

Reading the information on here has made me feel so much more positive about this.

So thank you so much everyone.

My question is..

If its a 4% chance for a male to catch this with unprotected sex with a herpes + person then what is the percentage of anybody catching it from anyone?

And same with using a condom..?

Hope that makes sense.

Hi Aikea!

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity forums! Good to have you. :)

All the percentages of passing herpes are gone over in detail on this handout here:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

The reason there is 2.5x greater chances of females getting herpes than for males is because a vagina has more mucous membrane than a penis. It's easier to transmit herpes when there is easier access to the person's body since herpes is passed from skin-to-skin contact. Mucous membrane is way more permeable to the virus than the skin.

You might also be interested in reading this blog article on how herpes is passed:

http://herpeslife.com/how-can-you-get-herpes

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thanks for the reply Adrial.

Sorry I wasn't very clear.. I meant what is the chance of the average person catching herpes in general - say from someone who didn't know they had it etc. I mean like if someone went out and had a one night stand.

I'm still unclear on your question. :)

Did you have a one night stand and are worrying that you might have passed herpes to him?

What your asking would still carry the same percentages that are on that handout whether it's sex via one night stand or in a relationship or if the person knows they have it or not. I do believe the chances of passing herpes drops considerably when you know your body well because you can avoid sex during herpes outbreaks and when you feel an outbreak might be coming on. But as far as when there isn't an active outbreak, the percentages break down to what's on that handout. Those percentages are aggregates of all the people who have gotten herpes vs all the people who haven't. They're averages. You can't quite say to someone "You're going to get 4% herpes." :) Either they're going to get herpes or not, but the chances of them getting herpes are much smaller than the chances of them getting herpes, especially when you take basic precautions and are safe and knowledgeable about your prodrome symptoms. Was that more clear?

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Have you ever seen the "Who's on first?" sketch? I feel like that's what we're playing now. :)

To answer your question directly: It depends. :)

The chance of anyone catching herpes depends on if they are a man/woman, whether the person with herpes knows they have herpes or not, whether a condom is used or not, whether suppressive medication is used or not and other factors. The full range in all of that falls between roughly a 1-10% chance of anyone catching herpes at any given time.

Helpful resources:

• 5 weeks later...

WCSDancer2010,

I apologize in advance for hijacking this post, but something you said was exactly what I came to the forum today looking for. Just disclosed, and like Aikea he was great about everything. My question is this, he takes medication that has the side effect of lowering his immune system. And I am wondering what that means in terms of risks to him. I do not want to proceed without doing a bit of research, asking my doctor and the folks on here (who are a lot more knowledgeable than a lot of MD's about the topic) so that he can make an informed choice. I want to keep him safe and herpes free!!!

Thanks everyone!

Mermaid2349

Well, I'm not a doctor so I can't really advise on that. Really, he should talk to HIS doctor about what his risks are. There are many reasons people are on those drugs and some might be more likely to have issues with getting Herpes than others.

All we can tell you here is with supressant meds and a condom you can get his risks down to no more than 2% .... and really, I think if you are really, really in tune with your body, perhaps more..... The GOOD thing is that you will have a great excuse to find all kinds of wonderful ways to pleasure each other when you *might* be having an OB that you might not explore otherwise. So look at it as a great excuse to find your inner freaks and go wild in the Adult Toy stores :)

(((HUGS)))