• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Smell... Could I have a herpes outbreak and not know it?

Okay. So during my initial when I got to the weeping stage I had this God awful smell down there that I could smell when I simply pulled my pants off. Sorry. Nasty I know but it relates. It just was like an infection smell. I just went to the bathroom and had a light hint of that same smell. I have no bumps visible as I broke out mostly on my butt. I mean could they be up in my vagina? I haven't had any weird discharge that was smelly or anything or different colored nor does my discharge smell. Maybe I just need a bath? Idk. Just when I pulled my pants down it was a light smell. I took a bath last night so Im not unhygienic. Haha. But I haven't bathed today yet. Just a little confused. I know this is all kind of funny but I'm worried I'm outbreaking somewhere and can't see it. Any ideas?

I've never heard of anyone having an odd smell when breaking out. I'm pretty sure if you had it in your vagina you'd know and it shouldn't be in your colon because you got it from oral sex it shouldn't have managed to get in there.

Maybe you are a little hormonal/premenstrual - sometimes hormones can cause odor issues :/

I have only had a strange smell down there on my first outbreak but that was because i had a painful bump inside my vagina and was afraid the soap would sting it so i just would rinse itvoff with water in the beginning. Now there's been another time in my life that my vagina had a strong smell and it was awful. I mean yge awfulest it ever was. Ironically i had just lost my virginity to this guy and he had given me an sti called trichonomas or it might be called trichamonas. one of those. However if you're not having bad spasms when u pee its probably not that either. And I'm sorry if I've grossed anyone out. I'm picky about my vagina too and if it smells off i don't rest til i figure out what the hell is wrong lol.

Well when I say I smelled during my initial... I smelled. It was not fishy or anything like that. It literally smelled like an infection of some sort, like it's so hard to explain. The best way I can relate it is when I had laparoscopic surgery when I was 18 and some other things done and it just smelled like sickness. I mean I had infection clearly considering bumps were up my buttcrack but it was nasty. I bathed everyday and used antibacterial soap on my junk during that initial. I think there was only one day I didn't mess with it and I did salt baths that day. And this doesn't smell like a yeast infection or anything like that. Idk maybe things were just off down there ph or something. I just got nervous about it. I'll see how tomorrow goes, just took my night bath. I have always sweat a good bit down there. Sorry, I know I am going into some stuff, I just want to be able to know when I'm breaking out. Since my symptoms last time were so bland it seems. I mean how do I know if I have them up inside me? I don't have the duckbill like the doctor to open me up and look, nor do I want to. If I have them up in me I mean I'll see something right? Like discharge or foul odor? Burning bad when I pee? Something right? But as for me, ya know I've told y'all mine was mostly up my buttcrack which by the way he didn't go back there, not into salad tossing, so it blew my mind that's where I was broke out at. Every night I feel for bumps when I bathe and still nothing since my initial. Idk... Vaginas are crazy. I have asked why I didn't get a penis many many times in my life. I got the shaft. Pun intended. :)

Thanks @peachyogurtisawesome my thinking was the same, I would be having some kind of pain. I'm like a watchdog on my junk now. Check it constantly and pay attention to any little itch, smell, whatever! I'm just waiting on this next outbreak... And wondering when it's going to happen so I'm on edge about anything that is different down there. Thank you and @wcs for your input.

Ahh yes! See okay. Interesting. So she does get an odor, that's good to know I wasn't the only one. But my odor was only during the stage where I was weeping. When I pulled my pants down and could see like fluids on them. (How I know I was in that stage was because of that) because after my doc visit I didn't look at my junk again. The looking just make me cry so I stopped after I was diagnosed by sight. Disgusting. I think I may just be off down there cause I'm not having any other symptoms. But that's when I smelled was during that fluid leaking stage. It wasn't a ton of leaking. It just was noticeable and enough to stick to the bumps and rip like a bandaid every morning (I didn't wear underwear during that initial) Even when I took a bath I still smelled. Made me so nervous. I am in finals week of college so maybe stress is throwing me off. Vaginas...*rolling my eyes*

I sometimes get outbreaks in my vaginal canal, which then my open and bleed, not a lot, but very trace amount and discharges (grossing myself out), anyway, sometimes it can smell slightly infected. It clears up with the out break. But if it doesn't I would make a doctor appointment there is also bacteria vaginosis, which can be an infection you will want medicine for. My friend gets from time to time and seems to be easily cleared up. She also said there was a smell associated with it.

"Vaginas are crazy. I have asked why I didn't get a penis many many times in my life. I got the shaft. Pun intended. "

OMFG ROFLMAO - that was some funny shit ... so glad I wasn't eating or drinking: =))

And you got me with the "Salad Tossing" - had to confirm with Urban Dictionary what that meant... I guess correctly but that's the first time I heard that one :-O

You guys legit have me cracking up over here. I just graduated from nursing school so I obviously hear graphic stories and see stuff on a daily basis but these descriptions are priceless :))

@defeated that's interesting about the infection smell.. I could see why it might when you have blisters, because a lot of time purulent drainage has a certain odor.. but without weeping blisters? Odd. Maybe our community med student might know something about it? When I had my first and only (so far) OB, I had bacterial vaginosis at the same time, so I couldn't distinguish a difference in smell between in the infection and the actual blisters. Something to observe for during my next OB (which I hopefully won't have again for a longg time.. fingers crossed).

I love the openness here. Such an amazing thing

You GO girl! You see, THAT is what a REAL man will honor in you - smarts, great sense of humor, pretty, and a great heart. If he will walk away from that over a skin condition, he doesn't deserve to be in your life.

DBT: I want to give you a challenge. I'd love to see you take the "Defeated" out of your name ... you could change it all together or maybe just cut it down to "Trying". Because you are NOT defeated. You rocked your exams, you are progressing here, and are going to start to do great things.....you ARE trying, you are NOT defeated :)

Love ya chica!!!

Thanks yall! @sabrina I am moving forward. Slowly. Like turtle pace. On the day I was diagnosed, I said I was dropping out of school...My dad lost it on me of course because this was my last semester. But I didn't want to keep going. I didn't and somewhat still don't care about much of anything anymore. I finished out of respect for him paying for my college. I could give two shits anymore. But, I almost did shutdown, but I didn't. :)

@wcs Thank you my internet mom. I hope that a man will see the good things about me one day and look past it, but only time will tell what happens. I gave a guy my number last night...(I went to have a couple drinks to celebrate being done). I felt so stupid giving my number out. Like, I don't know. I felt dirty, like I was lieing. I went to highschool with him, he is a couple years older. Needless to say, he asked me to come home with him, I said uh...I'm not that kind of girl. So he just wants in my pants and I know that from the get go. So that isn't going to work out, can already see that. It was weird giving my number out though. It just didn't feel good, or sit right with me. Guessing that is normal for the first time you hand a number out after being diagnosed. I mean I know I am not marrying the guy, but it just didn't feel good. I don't know how to explain what it felt like, I just felt stupid and dumb, like this is a waste of my time, I don't want this, I would eventually have to tell him, why would I even give him my number. I know I will probably cry on Saturday at my actual graduation. I still feel like a lot of the things I hoped for and dreamed will not happen. I have worked so hard in my life to be a good girl, to be independent, strong, loving, a good friend, try to be "perfect", and I don't know. I guess that is why I feel defeated still. Because who I was before I was diagnosed, is definitely not who I am now. And that girl, I don't know if she will ever come back. Maybe when something good happens to me, I mean school isn't my life goal. I went to school so I knew I would be able to support to my children. That is why I went. Literally. Getting married and being a mom has always been my number one want. When that happens, I will probably change my name. You, as always, are encouraging. I am getting there. My name is my comfort still, if that makes any sense. Love ya too!

It just didn't feel good, or sit right with me.

1) It will take time to get used to this just being another part of your life...take it from someone who has lived with it for a loooooong time ... one day you will realize you didn't think about it at all that day.... and

2) It didn't feel right because you really know he just wants to get in your pants...BUT, that made him the perfect guy to practice giving out your number... because you figured that out from the get-go and YOU can now lay the ground rules for where it goes from here.

I have worked so hard in my life to be a good girl,

Sorry but what a load of CRAP... you have tried to conform and be someone to please other people because that is what our society tells us we must do. And that just sets you up for a fall because something will invariabley come along and prove to you that you are not a "good girl".

Hows about just being YOU? You still are "independent, strong, loving, a good friend", but I promise you will NEVER be "perfect" - so quit trying. Just be the best person you can be each and every day. We all f*uck up at some time or other. We are all human beings, being human"

Or, as I came along this today

As Mary says in Eternal Sunshine , "Adults are this mess of sadness and phobias." You are flawed. He is flawed. Together, you are flawed. Together, you are amazing.

IMO as long as you identify yourself with being "defeated" (even if you are "trying) you will remain defeated. How's about "FlawedButTrying" or "ImperfectButLearning". We as humans LIVE in language. I'm encouraging you to change your LANGUAGE first, and see what happens...

(((HUGS)))

Helping Us Grow Spiritually :)

@WCSDancer2010 love love love your replies

" Sorry but what a load of CRAP... you have tried to conform and be someone to please other people because that is what our society tells us we must do. And that just sets you up for a fall because something will invariabley come along and prove to you that you are not a "good girl".

Hows about just being YOU? You still are "independent, strong, loving, a good friend", but I promise you will NEVER be "perfect" - so quit trying. Just be the best person you can be each and every day. We all f*uck up at some time or other. We are all human beings, being human"

wonderful :-D :-D

@defeatedbuttrying congrats on you graduation Mrs be proud.. I had my graduation ceremony on Tuesday ( even though I finished in July.. God only knows why they wait so long !!) Anyway I cried at mine, but out of happy emotions. And on reading your post I just realised that while there I didn't think about herpes once yeeyyy ! now you try not too either Mrs. Don't you dare let it over shadow your moment. You worked your butt off for this. Now you have being told by you internet mum and your aunt hope ......

Oh and for the record. I get a funny odour when I am about to break out. Even sometimes just when I tingle and don't get a full on break out, and I shower ever morning and bath every night, and use women's bits deodorant down there too ( not that I have OCD at all :-) ) so mine is not a hygiene thing either xx

• 3 years later...

So.. I hate to be that person.... But I know that smell you're talking about. I shower every morning, and I can usually start to smell within 2 hours of being here. I recently got the virus 2-3 months ago, and first smelled it during my first outbreak. Did you ever find out more about this? No one has said anything to me about it, so they're either being polite or don't smell it.

So this is a timely discussion for me. I was diagnosed last July. I still can't figure out when I am having an outbreak but I have, since then had my first UTI and also noticed I have a stench. I think it's associated with urine tho. I take valtrex daily. I have been wondering if that was what was responsible for the smell. At then end of the day when I undress it is obvious to me, so it's not just when I go to the restroom. Any one have thoughts on this (valtrex)as a cause?