• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes viral shedding

Hi JB!

It's safer to assume that it is happening all the time to varying degrees since you'll never know when viral shedding is actually happens, but it depends on which strain of herpes you have either orally or genitally on how often it does shed throughout the year. Here's the handout that says the %s (right column under "what is viral shedding?") and I've also included the blog article, which is probably what you are referring to having read.

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

http://herpeslife.com/what-is-herpes-asymptomatic-viral-shedding/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

It can suck. Or it can be just another thing in life. Don't make it bigger than it needs to be. Trust me on that one. I wasted many years actually thinking my sexy life was over. It never was. I just convinced myself it was. Yes, it is different. But don't assume it'll be any worse. Then you're just digging yourself into a hole, and that's no fun and not fair to yourself. :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

JB..

Yes - we can be shedding a little all the time. But we are all being constantly exposed to BILLIONS of bacteria and viruses EVERY DAY. The thing is, a little here and there is actually a GOOD thing..it helps our immune system start to build antibodies against a possible infection. The problem with transference/infection of any bug/virus happens when the *amount* of bacteria/virus is enough to overwhelm our system. That amount is different for each person, and changes for each person depending on their immune system function. It also may happen that how and where you are exposed to these things (ie, with HSV, if you get exposed when you have a razor burn so your skin is compromised) may contribute.

Regarding Oral with HSV2 - that little bugger really doesn't like Oral abodes, so the risk of passing it on with oral sex is pretty minimal and you can reduce it further with supressive therapy. And of course, YOU can give all the oral you want ... just make sure you and your partner don't have HSV1 before you do (so you can take appropriate precautions if you do).

And "high risk" is all relative. 4-10% ...halve that with supressive therapy and halve it again with condoms....

Now - go look at the risk of other things you do/health issues:

20% risk of Heart disease

14% risk of Cancer

2.6% risk of Hospital infections (doesn't stop you from going to hospital when you have to, does it?)

1.2% risk of having a car accident ... 2% of them resulting in death.

Smoking causes about 90% (or 9 out of 10) of all lung cancer deaths in men, and 80% (or 8 out of 10) of all lung cancer deaths in women. More women die from lung cancer each year than from breast cancer. About 90% (or 9 out of 10) of all deaths from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are caused by smoking. Yet people still smoke!!!!

If you knew the risk of potential harm/death for everything you do you might never leave the house if you are worried about something with the percentages we are dealing with with our H friend ;) The thing is, you just need to get educated, get informed, and act RESPONSIBLY. Just as we should know better than to drink and drive, we should know better than to have sex without knowing our partner's status AND taking proper precautions (both for STI's and unwanted pregnancy).

It's all about perspective my friend.... :)

(((HUGS)))