• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

If we both have HSV-2, will herpes get all over us?

The guy I'm seeing is afraid to have sex with me. We both have HSV-2. He is under the impression that if we keep having sex, we are destined over time to end up with this funk all over us...

Is this true?

Somebody arm me with some accurate information, please!

Hi tbt!

Ah yes, I remember the days when I thought just sitting down in a public seat or breathing close to somebody would spread herpes to every unfortunate person who ever crossed my path. ;) But that's just the stigma speaking, which tends to come with a generous serving of paranoia. It's good to be safe and careful, but don't let that build to paranoia and disconnection, especially if both of you have the same virus! :)

It's actually quite hard to get HSV-2 to any other parts of the body (also called "autoinoculation") unless your immune system is compromised. Of course you'll still handle with care, just not paranoia. Just take all the common sense precautions like washing your hands after touching your outbreak (soap kills herpes on contact). Don't touch your eyes after touching an outbreak. And of course, you'd avoid having sex during actual herpes outbreaks since that's the time when the herpes is the strongest. Other than that, for in between outbreaks, both of your bodies develop antibodies against HSV-2, so the viral shedding here and there will be protected. The paranoia around herpes is unfortunately way beyond the actual reality of what the virus is capable of. :)

It's official: You can now enjoy the sex. Go! Go! Enjoy! (Direct order.) ;)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Oh.My.Gawd.

Sorry but you have me laughing my ass off.....

Nothing personal - I just can see it now. Think about it. How many people where both people have H2....

Now, think about it again. How many people do you see going around with the funk all over them????

You see the STIGMA is more infectious than the virus - he got YOU starting to think like that.

I'm backing up Adrial...... You can now enjoy the sex. Go! Go! Enjoy! (Direct order.) :D

Of course you can get HSV2 all over your body. You can get it in your hair, on your legs, your feet, all over your bum, and if the sex is really good and you're an athletic couple, you'll get it on the walls, all over the bed, the floor, the curtains, shoot, nothing is safe. Heck, you can cover the whole house with the stuff.

But, like Adrial said, unless it's your first OB, or your immune system is seriously compromised, you have nothing to worry about. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who accidentally autoinnoculated his ankles during his first OB; not quite what I had in mind when I said I wanted ankle biters someday. And, yes, I did ask my doctor about this who said after the first few months that goes away and autoinnoculation is extremely rare.

So, Play that funky muuuusiicc right. Lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'till you die. :) (or laugh, or cry, or giggle, I mean we all have our little post-coitus rituals, do what works best for you.)