• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Understanding Herpes Disclosure Cheat Sheet

Guest [Deleted User]

For the section on unprotected transmission rates, are these infection percentages based on unprotected sex for a year (12 months)? I assume this is based on studying sexually active couples. On that note, how frequently is the sex (kissing daily, intercourse weekly, oral sex bi-weekly?) Are these stats global for HSV1&2, both oral and genital? I understand from Adrian's earlier post to mean that this includes all forms of unprotected sex (oral, genital, etc.)

Here's the cheat sheet that's being referred to for everyone else who's interested in downloading it. Certainly helps come disclosure time to keep everything straight and be clear about risk:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

Think of it as a global %. Don't get too bogged down in what sex acts were done or not, who went down on who or not ... there are SO MANY variables that go into any sort of study like this — and each variable can't be taken into consideration within one global study on herpes.

And it's not just how the sex itself happens. There are a lot of variables: It's where the outbreaks happen to be, male/female, female/female, male/male, how strong each person's immune systems are, whether the person who doesn't have genital herpes has oral herpes or not, etc etc ... Like I said, SO MANY. So don't drown yourself in the details. You could go insane. And we don't want that happening. ;)

Taking the common sense precautions, taking care of your immune system, keeping a wide open line of communication with your partner ... all of these will lessen the risk. Because when it comes down to it, they will either get herpes or not. (After all, there's no such thing as getting 2% of herpes.) The chances are well on the side of them NOT getting herpes in general, as the %s clearly show (especially when you're careful and aware as a supportive, communicative couple), but it's better to think of the risk in those general terms and that both of you will do the best you can to keep the non-herpes partner protected.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I understand the 4% statistic is based on a study by the Valtrex manufacturer and involved couples having sex an average of at least 2x/week over an entire year. Post by NP Terri Warren, 11/7/2012, on MedHelp; and Dr. H. Handsfield, 8/24/2005, on Medhelp. Dr. Handsfield notes the risk for any single episode of sex "is very low" for this category. For comparison, the risk of pregnancy for typical use of a condom is 18%, when correctly using a condom it is 2-3%. (CDC website.)

Hi all,

Quick question...

I am subscribed to receive emails in order to acquire the ebook, but I cant even seem to find it in my spam folder.

I also tried registering a secondary email address, yet same result.

Is there any alternative way to acquire the ebook?

Thanks in advance!