• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can you think you are asymptomatic for herpes and not be?

Hi butterfly,

Possibly. Hard to say because of the nature of a symptomatic shedding. And for many people, herpes outbreaks are quite mild for some reason. Maybe it's a mixture of the strength of their immune system and whether they already have had herpes antibodies in their system by having cold sores, who knows. But since 80% of Americans who have herpes aren't aware they have it, then there's either a lot of denial, very small outbreaks that can be mistaken for ingrown hairs or razor burn, or all of the above. I have had a few outbreaks that were so mild, I didn't even know they were there until they started scabbing over.

It sounds by what you're saying with the painful sex that you were actually experiencing an outbreak, but maybe not in the "classic" sense. If your skin was feeling raw in a different way right around the time you got herpes, it's safe to assume that it was an outbreak. But you can never be sure without getting that area swabbed when you suspect an outbreak may be coming on.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hi! guys thank you for the answers. When I acquired the virus is when it was painful, I guess that was my first outbreak. I haven't experience any discomfort or pain since then, and it was 2 years ago. I thought that if the blisters were on the inside I could still have them and not feel pain or anything. I was wondering how do they determine if you are an asymptomatic patient? and do you think if I wasn't asymptomatic I would know given the fact that is been 2 years?

Thank you very much

Love :-)

:) FYI, 15-20% of all people who have a first herpes outbreak never have another outbreak again. You could be one of those people.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: