• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just a Reminder to be Thankful

So,

I really had to share this story and I am sure most of you have already seen it or heard about it. I sometimes used to think why me why does it have to be me to have this. Well life could be harder right? I was recently watching the news and realizing have watching that horrid zipling accident with the 19 year old girl who lost her legs and arms and she had a smile on her face enjoying life and was asked if she asks why me and she said it crossed her mind once but said this is just how the cookie crumbles.

We really need to all be thankful for what we have.......... Sounds cliche right?

Yes, I totally agree, Crissy! It's amazing that what we focus on becomes bigger. We can always find aspects of our lives to focus on that will have us feeling either shitty or awesome. It all depends on where we are deciding to put our awareness. We have million pieces of stimuli hitting us at any moment: thoughts, facts, figures, visual, auditory, choices ... And we get to decide what we give attention to. That decision on what to pay attention to in anything is how we filter our experience of our own lives.

AND in the same breath, I think comparison's a bitch. ;) So whether we compare up or we compare down, it's still making that comparison muscle stronger each time. How about we throw out comparing altogether (if you succeed in doing this, by the way, tell me how) and live our life as it IS instead of how it SHOULD or COULD be. I think that alone could erase most, if not all of our suffering. Then we can truly be thankful for what we have regardless of what anyone else has or doesn't have. That's my soapbox. (And yes, still figuring out how to do that myself.) ;)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

You are right Crissy. Thirty years ago when I was dying I started a gratitude journal and I I am still in the habit of finding 20 things to be thankful for every night before I sleep. Changes your world when you look for things to be thankful for instead of what is wrong. And yeah life can always be harder...I like your post :-)

Hi Guys,

I haven't had a chance to get on here since I wrote this post. Some days, I try not to think of H and it seems to be those day's when I see a story and I have to give myself a reality check. I never thought of comparison feeding the muscle, but I like your point.

Thanks Lelani! I like the idea of a gratitude journal. There has also been something I have been doing for some time since someone told me one day was to remember to thank god for your misfortunes not just your fortunes... I know some people arent religious but, I am and this helped me a lot. %%-

While I have been down about H, I had to think that I am still alive. An old friend of an ex-boyfriend committed suicide on 9/10. It's so upsetting that he was that distraught that he would do that to himself. And now he leaves behind 2 young kids, parents and siblings, loads and loads of friends and co-workers to grieve. If only he had someone to talk to that could have made him feel better. We are so lucky to have each other here.