• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can you pass HSV1 from mouth to genital?

Hi all,

Found out in early November I had contracted genital herpes. I'll save the long saga and sob story - my giver/ex got in touch with me recently now claiming he couldn't have possibly given it to me, saying he has HSV1 oral and that his doctor said he can't pass it along, although almost everything I've read suggests otherwise. He was the only person I had slept with in at least 6 months. My symptoms also showed up within days of us having sex, including oral sex. Here are my thoughts/questions:

1. Is it possible to pass HSV1 from mouth to genitals if you have oral sex?

2. More of a rant, but I feel like whoever his "doctor" is should have his/her medical license revoked for telling him he can't spread it!

3. Is there any reason a medical professional would even SUGGEST this type of thing?

I'm so angry right now because I know deep down that I couldn't possibly have gotten it from anyone else. I was starting to finally feel normal again and now this just feels like reopening an old wound.

I had to add to this, I find it frustrating that there are so many half truths out there about herpes...I have had HSV 1 and 2 for 9 months. There are still so many medical details that I am not clear on? Dr's contradict each other. I know of many people that say you can only get herpes if someone has an outbreak NOT TRUE! I was also told that you cannot get HSV2 from orally transferring with number one in the mouth? I'm with you I would love some clarity the absolute do's and don'ts so that we can protect ourselves and others. As I find out true facts I will be happy to share them. Thanks for letting me comment:)

SunnyDaysAreHere

Hello and Welcome...

Yes my friend, you can get HSV1 from oral sex... and sadly there are far too many Family Doctors who are very out of date on their info. I suggest you send your ex this link from the Center for Disease Control

http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/STDFact-Herpes.htm

And tell him to read this part very carefully - and then ask him to print it out and take it to his doctor

How do people get genital herpes?

People get herpes by having sex with someone who has the disease. “Having sex” means anal, vaginal, or oral sex. HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be found in and released from the sores that the viruses cause. The viruses can also be released from skin that does not appear to have a sore. Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected.

HSV-1 can cause sores in the genital area and infections of the mouth and lips, so-called “fever blisters.” HSV-1 infection of the genitals is caused by mouth to genital or genital to genital contact with a person who has HSV-1 infection.

If it makes you feel any better, 50% of the new Genital herpes cases are HSV1 obtained through Oral Sex... thanks in part at least to the fact that most people have no clue that they have HSV1 and in part to the fact that even those who know don't realize they can pass it on during Oral Sex... :(

(((HUGS))) ..

Exactly. I got HSV 1 genitally with no outbreak at all. Believe me, if he had of had something on his face I would have immediately said uh no. No downtown time. He had nothing. Not a red spot, not a bump, nada, zip, nothing. He had a scruff though which I think is the main reason I contracted it. And as I said, we didn't even have intercourse.

I haven't had an outbreak on my face weird enough, my doctor can't exactly explain that to me. He has given me the all clear to give oral sex with no worries and not disclosing. So, for that I am thankful. I can at least give head, which I must say, is a specialty of mine. Not tooting my own horn, but beep beep. I like to give it and so I'm thankful for that much at least. That I have that one normalcy left in my life in regards to sex. I'll probably get really good at it since I don't plan to disclose and have intercourse until I am a 100% sure this guy will not reject me.

That being said, since this is how I got it. I am very f'n strong headed about people who have it orally disclosing. You should. Stigma or not, you can pass it. I will go toe to toe with anyone, and I have had this discussion with a couple men since who think orally isn't a big deal. It is a big deal. That's how I got it and it's because of stupid people who don't give a shit and think it isn't passable that way, that this happens.

People need to learn their shit, not y'all, but people who think it's no biggie. Doctors especially. Honestly, I don't even like doctors acting like herpes isn't a big deal. Either type, either location. That's part of the problem. Not enough education. I want it to be seen as a big deal in education. Make it a priority to educate and make education about a big deal. Not the disease, but education needs to be a big damn deal.

I have had the hardest time of my life trying to accept this. The lack of support from many people has made it much harder. Should I have asked guy? Damn straight. Should he have known it was passable that way and been in the position to know and tell me? Damn straight on that too. As I've said before, I split fault in my issue 75% him and 25% me. He knew he had it and should have educated his dumb ass. I would have and have educated myself since I have it now. If I had it orally before genitally, I would have researched it then too. People are assholes and don't care. Partly, because it's not made to be a big deal and partly because people don't care if they hurt others.

If you get the flu, you stay the hell away from people. If you get any disease, educate your damn ass and protect others. It's shitty.

None of that was at y'all. Just my rant for the night. Grrr.

And I might add, the signs were all there for me. In regard to his stupidity. I consider him to be an arrogant, selfish, self righteous, dumb ass bastard. The fact that he was in no way on my level of intelligence should have clued me in to the fact he wasn't right for me, before I ever let him go down on me. But before H, I never considered stuff like that. As I felt I was being self righteous. I dated men who were in no way compatible for me. A discussion of politics with this dude or current issues or how to solve an algebraic math problem was probably out of his brain range and did not interest him. So I should have noted his lack of intelligence (what I consider to be important and of importance to my "one", what I'm looking for) and thought about that before I let him go down on me. H has made me realize that I was dating men who were not and no where near my check list of "this is my dream man".

That all may sound super bitchy. But I'll say this damn much. I won't ever date a guy or become sexual in any way with a guy that I clearly see signs of incompatibility with now. He just wasn't on my level, and I don't mean I was out of his league, although clearly I was now since I've realized he has the moral code of a snail. But he just wasn't what I truly wanted, before H. He honestly, was just stupid and lacked the things that I value in my own life. Intelligence, education, drive, and ambition. He lacked all of that shit. Truly. Sigh, I need to cut the TV on.

H has made me realize that I was dating men who were not and no where near my check list of "this is my dream man".

EXACTLY chica! We settle all too often - either because we don't think we are worthy of that "dream man/woman" or because our hormones drain all the blood from our brains :p

What a great revelation ... proud of you my friend :)

well said @SunnyDaysAreHere! Well said... I love that I have somewhat of a.. strainer in dating because of this. :)

"If you can't handle me now, in my most vulnerable state, I'm only going to get stronger and more creative with my love, so why give you that specialty?!"