• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How do I know if I have herpes type 1 or 2?

Reading posts I see people talking about having genital herpes as hsv 2 or hsv 1. It occurred to me that although I know I have genital herpes (skin test & blood test and the doctor was pretty confident & said he'd only call me if it was not herpes- never got results on paper, never saw that doctor again but have had various outbreaks since then- 6 years ago). I think I just assume I have hsv 2, but how can I know for sure?

You have to get the results - there's no way to know without them and you should *insist* in future that you get a copy of ANY labs you have done (not only Herpes/std's) because of just this thing ... when you want to go back and check something out, or if you go to a new Dr, you have something to show them and in many instances, compare to.

You may want to go get a blood test now to see which one you have - you may indeed have both as you could be carrying the HSV1 oral from childhood on your mouth and the HSV2 down below...