• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle...

"So if its so old, and been around so long, why can't they come up with a damn cure already!"

Same reason why the common cold, cancer, HIV, and all sorts of human afflictions haven't been cured. Modern medicine has only come so far... and there is still a LOT we have absolutely no clue how our bodies work how cells work how DNA works and what we can do to change it and "Cure" ourselves of these afflictions. Perhaps if Ancient Rome didn't fall we would have better medicine... but alas woulda coulda shoulda!

Actually, we do know how cells and DNA work. Modern medicine is a wondrous thing. Don't sell it short. New discoveries are made every day. The reason there hasn't been a cure forthcoming for HSV is because it's not a life threatening illness. It's not cancer. It's not ebola. It's not the Bubonic Plague (although it apparently provides some resistance to infection by the Plague, figure that one out). It's not HIV. It's not polio. Etc, etc. In the United States it's not a priority because the overall population is low-risk for other conditions that HSV can make a person susceptible to. There is also no money in vaccine production, and the government often has to provide tax incentives and funding for labs and pharmaceutical companies to induce them to pursue the research. For the researchers, they do it for science and the betterment of mankind. Unfortunately, they're rarely the ones in charge of the money.

The scientific reason a cure hasn't been synthesized yet is because of the way HSV works. It lays dormant in the dorsal root ganglia. A bundle of nerve cells at the base of the lumbar and thoracic spine (lower back and neck). Because it is a latent infection, the body does not recognize virus cells. It recognizes active virus cells, but not inactive. The way it activates is by only using a portion of the viral load at any given time. It staggers activation. One of the theories being tested is that if full activation can be induced and maintained for a long enough period of time, then antiviral medication can clear the system. The problem has been maintaining activation and keeping the level of antiviral medication consistent during the process (in vitro lab tests). Another method in preclinical trials is using cutting endonucleases to sever the DNA helix in the viral cells and force them to reconstruct themselves incorrectly, effectively deactivating the virus. This is gene therapy similar to the way they are attempting to cure HIV. The issue here is that it is in very early stage testing. I've spoken to the head of the research lab doing this testing and he has managed to clear in vitro models of 60%+ of viral load. That's not good enough, but it is a good start. He also tells me that he believes all the technology is in place to synthesize a cure for HSV in the next decade.

While that is a wonderful thing to hear, don't take it to mean you can sit around and wait. You can't. You have two options. In the words of Morgan Freeman, you either get busy living or get busy dying. So which one is it gonna be? Me? I choose to live, no matter how difficult it may be.

@Thisismenow

Wow - what a great explanation! I couldn't have written that better myself! I'd like to quote this from you in future posts if I may .... with your permission. There is nothing I would want to change or say better in here....

One of the theories being tested is that if full activation can be induced and maintained for a long enough period of time, then antiviral medication can clear the system. The problem has been maintaining activation and keeping the level of antiviral medication consistent during the process (in vitro lab tests).

The other problem would me, can you imagine the OB while you were fighting it off? UHG! They have the same problem with things like Lyme disease ... the drugs and the body cant get to the dormant spirochetes that are hiding in the system.

Yeah - there *may* be a cure in the next 10 years... but again, I've heard that before... ever since the mid-80's in fact. All we need is another AIDS-type epidemic and we get shoved into the corner again. So I'm gonna keep living and enjoy the ride as best as I can. ;)