• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Strange herpes symptoms

Guest [Deleted User]

Hi folks,

I'm new to this site...found it while browsing for some information. After reading some posts I thought it would be nice to become a member. I've lived with HSV I my entire life. I was actually hospitalized when I was a baby--the cold sores covered my entire mouth. Over the years, they got much better. As an adult, I rarely get them anymore, and when I do, I know the routine.

It is true all of the things people say about suppressing the virus---good diet, exercise, Lysine, lots of vitamin-C (I take it like candy), and even meditation and yoga to keep the mind and body strong and balanced. A healthy immune system is key in suppressing the virus. I can almost always correlate an outbreak with stress, lack of sleep, or sickness.

Recently, I've contracted HSV II, although I am not positive. I had sores on my penis, went to the doctor, and she verified it was herpes. However, I'm not 100% sure it is HSV II (maybe HSV I got down there). Anyway, I haven't tried the medication (acyclovir, etc.); I'm just trying to control things naturally for now.

Most likely I contracted it 10 months ago. My first outbreak was delayed, like 3-4 months after. However, before that I had some pain in my groin area, in the inner thigh region. Recently, I have been having that pain again, and I am thinking (after doing some research) that it is the virus. Here is the strangest thing...I have sensations in my penis, but they aren't prodrome (I know that tingling from cold sores all too well). It feels different, and no sores appear. The strangest thing is, when I have sexual thoughts, it activates! When I think of something sexual, I will feel something, a nerve maybe, tingle, or shock in my penis. I won't call it pain, necessarily, but it is definitely disturbing.

I read something about neuralgia, and I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar to this. I'm wondering if I am having an outbreak that is "internal." I am not getting the sores, but I wonder if the virus is activating and disrupting things inside without the usual ulcers/sores. I thought maybe it was psychosomatic, but it almost disappeared the last couple of days, and now it is back, but only slightly--it has been roughly 2 weeks since the first sensation.

It feels like it might be an outbreak, and my body is trying to get control of it. However, I have had no sores, but only this weird sensation. Also, there have been some days were I feel very under the weather, but I'm not sure if that is related.

Thanks for any advice, shared stories, information, or anything you can throw my way. And please ask me anything...I am willing and open to sharing any experiences and knowledge that I have.

Muchas gracias,

Michael

That is interesting, Michael. I've heard plenty of people say that before they get an outbreak that they get nerve tingles as if the virus is starting its hike from the basal ganglia to the surface of the skin. I don't tend to get those nerve sensations myself, but I do get the prodrome sensations on the part of my penis where my outbreaks always pop up (right near the head in a small patch of blisters). That prodrome shows up as a slight burning sensation, almost as if I have the cutest little sunburn right on that concentrated spot on my penis. I am assuming this means that I'm having a silent episode of viral shedding. Your specific situation I haven't heard of exactly, but maybe some other community members have had it or heard of it?

Also, for these more medically-specific questions, call either of these free hotlines to speak with a live knowledgeable operator (Herpes Opportunity isn't connected with any, but it's an awesome free service):

(919) 361-8488 (M-F, 9a-7p EST)

(206) 344-2539 (MWF 6:30-9p EST)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thanks Adrial, I appreciate the response and especially the numbers. I am currently only working part-time, and without medical insurance, every doctor visit is a financial burden I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks again!

Michael