• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Erythema multiforme from hsv ugh

She will soon be 51 --- ugh no health issues Til this happened. I volunteered to "get snipped" but she does not want to go off pill yet for fear it will toss her into full blown menapause.

It's just so hard getting the right doc and getting into to see them without waiting a month or so. She said she is having a good day and wants to give famvir a chance to work if it is EM related to HSV. Who knows at this point. Hope we don't miss our golden years together for this mysterious disease without a cure at the moment.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the rheumatologist should have tested for EBV antibodies, that's pretty standard. Based on the values, it will say whether you have been exposed, is dormant and inactive or a new or recurrent infection.

Again, w out the testing I described, there's no telling what her hormones are doing. I've never heard of a 50yr old not being in at least perimenpauae. The tests are so inaccurate and itsrmore based on symptoms. Something has changed in her and I'm willing to bet it is hormonal. If birth control stopped us from being peri or menopausal, they'd treat it w biryhbirth control rather than w hormone replacement. Birth control is not a hormone replacement, it simply tricks your body into not needing to ovulate, as if you're pregnant. It does not provide a dose of hormones for ovaries to function properly w production of hormones. Man, you have some really bad luck w doctors. My strategy w doctors are finding young females. Those are the ones who seem to be the most willing to listen to you and treat you, not just check off a list and go sokwy based on some tests that can't tell the whole story.

There's no reason for her to continue birth control at her age. Thay is ridiculous that she's still on it to be honest.

Listen, I can take 2000mlgs of valtrex a day like I did for almost two months recently and I still had back to back obs. It is because my hormones are off in my system, from hypothyroidism and now as of Monday after seeing an endocrinologist, I may have Cushing's disease as well. That is why antivirals do nothing for me and most that they don't help a whole lot w, either having autoimmune diseases or suspect it and are trying to get diagnosed.

What are your wife's reasons to be hesitate to stop bc? I can assure you, it is not acting as a hormone replacement for the ovaries, if she is in fact dealing w peri menopause. The fact that her body may be going through change of life, while being on bc could be a culprit. It's beat she quit to rule it out. I've never heard of a woman her age on it, unless to control endometriosis, which I have. If that were the case at her age, docs would have her do a hysterectomy. It's never good to be on bc long term, especially when. You're going through change of life.

Om.. I have to do some backpedaling on my comment's. So I can't find anything that says birth control will act as a replacement for hormones that are off, it most definitely will mask symptoms that a change is happening. The change happens while in BC or not, it just masks the symptoms and you cannot take that FC test for an accurate reading, while taking bc either. You actually have to be off it for sometime and then be tested.

W that said, regardless whether she's on it and it masks some symptoms, it's still a change taking place in the body, which I coukd imagine would trigger things for her. On average women of 51 yrs of age have reached full menopause and her bc likely has masked her peri symptoms for years and she's now hit full blown menopause.

The risk of cancer and other issues increases w age for someone on bc. It's better she get on bio hormone replacement, than stay on bc.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/08/10/menopause.birth.control.shu/index.html?iref=24hours

She has not had an HSV outbreak in about 2 years!!! Also we do not see an endo --

That's what is so strange about this whole thing --- she would get an HSV blister on her knee about every other year and it would last a week or so and then go away. It has not been presented at all during this entire EM ordeal.

@whitedaisies , she said if I am producing too much cortisol, that will make me have more obs for sure, regardless of antivirals. It lowers my immune system too much. There's even such thing as pseudo Cushing's, where long term depression and stress can result in an over production of cortisol.

I have to take a pill at 11pm sometime this week and then have my blood drawn before 9am. This is meant to suppress my adrenals, to see if it's caused by my adrenals. Treatment would be I guess somehow lowering the levels of cortisol. I see her in 3 weeks again and I'll let you know what she says about my tests. She also is having me run through a battery of tests again that the rheumatologist already did, stating that usually when you have one or two autoimmune diseases (I have two), there's more. We shall see. I started back up on my supplement regiment and things quieted back down. I had five obs back to back for two months. After a week of being back on my routine, my obs cleared up and didn't come back.

We saw an ID doc during her initial outbreak which was severe. He said it lookedi like EM because of the mouth sores and blisters and put her on Valtrax --- which made her lips swell up two days later so we stopped. That's when the doc referred us to a Derm at Ohio state who told is it was EM and that it would go away and never come back --- that was in March --- boy was he wrong.

Today she is having a minor outbreak on her hands and wrists again --- obviously the famvir is not working. We are at a total loss as to what to do now. We are so frustrated and scared .

Thanks for your support.

Every doc --- except one out of the nine we have seen--- thinks since she has an HSV infextion that it is driving this. No way to stop it either even though her HSV spot has never presented itself during this entire ordeal.

Mine started two a yr n half ago and then would be intermittent until last Oct, then it became constant. Some days it's worse than others. I'm just happy I got the back to back obs I had for two months back under control. It was crazy and it was making me feel dirty and I hadn't felt like that since my first diagnosis.

Well I lied, I am having an OB in my right groin again. Now I feel it's possibly fro. Heat and sweat, because it's been really hot and I was outside more since the last one again.

.I take the following:

Daily probiotic

Daily vitamin

2000mlgs if vit C

Zinc

Magnesium

D3 5000ui /aka vit D

Thanks

Lol

My wife is only having erythema multiforme skin rash outbreaks --- still no visible HSV symptoms --- she's not had a visable one for a couple of yeArs still Derm thinks it's linked to HSV. We have made appt at mayo clinic and she is going to go off BC . Also she is gonna double dose of famvir and see what happens. Pray this stops!'