• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Are there different strains of HSV-1 and HSV-2?

So, this is just a general question. If 2 people have the same type of Herpes in the same place, let's say HSV2 genital, I assume they can still give HSV2 to each other orally without protection right? Also, are there different strains of HSV2 (meaning, if you already have HSV2, can you still get another strain of HSV2 that makes your body outbreak in a new way)?

GHSV2 doesn't like the mouth - only 1% of all oral herpes comes from HSV2 - so while it IS possible (and we have a few people with it on her) the odds are pretty low.

As far as strains - there is no medical evidence of different strains ... so once you have HSV2, you can't get "more" of it ... ;)

If someone has hsv1 oral and i have ghsv1 and i receive oral sex.....

can they get a coldsore on a different place on their mouth due to contact?

Does that question make sense? Meaning, can I spread it to another area for them? Should I still use protection like a dental dam? UGH, never used one before!