• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Scared of Second Round of Herpes Outbreak -- Two Questions

JC81

I found out I'm positive for HSV-2 on Monday.

(I can post my story on the other discussion board later)

I am scared about how the second outbreak will be like. I had a horrible UTI before my primary breakout and I'm so scared of the pain of urination again. I don't know if the herpes virus caused the UTI to begin with. I'm just freaked out! I hate pain to begin with.

1. Do people usually have painful urination or is the painful urination only when the urine goes over the sore?

2. Do women usually have outbreaks during their period? Do you recommend to wait for my next period to see if I even break out before taking Valtrex? Or, should I always take Valtrex right before my period to avoid any outbreaks?

Thanks everyone!

I'm still pretty new to this, but I recently got a UTI and when I was at the dr's, I asked if it was at all herpes related. I wasn't having an outbreak at the moment and was worried it might mean I had another one coming.

She told me one doesn't cause the other. Pain during urination when you have an outbreak depends on where you get sores. If they're more internal, sometimes it can feel like a UTI when it's only an outbreak. If you only get sores around and not inside your genital area it only hurts if the urine passes over the sore (which can really sting like hell!) She told me a good test to tell UTI from outbreak was whether it burned/stung/hurt during and before urination or right after. If it's during/before, it's probably a UTI. If it hurts right after, it's an outbreak and the pain is from urine passing over the open sore.

I'm definitely not a doctor, but that's about what I was told.

It hurt while I was urinating, not after. I was tested positive twice for a UTI. I guess it was only that. As for the herpe sore, I had only one sore in a crease near the vaginal opening. It was VERY difficult to see and it only felt like a rash. I was able to urinate without it being touched by lifting up my leg a little. I was able to survive it. I just can't survive another UTI LOL.

JC I again understand you. I had a very mild case also thought it was an ingrown hair and uti. I'm not sure if I'm having an 2nd round but things are mild which I'm grateful for. I was super freaked out about the recurrent episodes but then I can't sit around worrying and waiting for it to happen either. I have started a mantra for myself, "I am healthy, I am strong, my body is healing it is strong..." that's one of the ones I found helps. Your body will get stronger I believe this. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much and just focus on breathing and caring for you.