• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

hsv1 or 2... how do I know?

I am 10 months into my Dx of herpes. I had a swan test that came back +, but other than the horrific outbreak I had the first time, I have not had ant symptoms of ob at all. I have gone through things that would almost guarantee an ob but haven't gotten so much as a tingle. I am wondering if maybe this means I have type 1. Whet test can I ask for to see what type I have?

Do a type specific blood test and post your results after.

If it is HSV1, it could mean you have oral herpes or genital herpes

If it is HSV2, it likely is just in your genital area

Usually they swab it and type the sore too....you should call your doctor to ask.

Type of outbreaks and duration and frequency depends on every person and really can't be typed by that. I have GHSV1, I think and the OB are horrific. Just depends on the person.

Good luck

Since diagnosed in 2006, I can count on one hand how many times I've had outbreaks. The first one was horrible! This past one was barely noticeable had a ob/gyn confirm for me but it was gone few days later. There is no rhyme or reason to it that I know of. I used to think that maybe it is gone or I was misdiagnosed. That was wishful thinking on my part

This is the reason so many don't know they have H .. they get one OB - often mild, and don't get any more.

Ask for the type Specific... if the Dr says it doesn't matter, tell him it DOES because if your partner has H1 orally you know they have *some* antibodies AND it sheds less, whereas if you have H2, you know you need to be more cautious ... ;)

(((HUGS)))