• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

My herpes story

I was diagnosed in April of this year. I was on vacation visiting friends and met up with an old fling. After a night of pretty rough intercourse, I felt like my vagina had been torn. I noticed a small bump that I thought was an ingrown hair. I was completely freaked out and hoped for the best but had a feeling it was an STD. A very good friend took me to Planned Parenthood where my worst fears came true. I don't think I could be more grateful for the professionalism that the doctor used to care for me. She told me that any other country sees herpes as a skin condition, but our culture makes it seem so much worse and horrifying than it should be. I have pretty much had an outbreak once a month for the last seven months. A few months ago, I had another outbreak. I live in a remote place and made the mistake of not having back up meds and had to wait several days to get the prescription in the mail. In the meantime, I read every blog or post I could find to figure out what I could do right then to help the pain. This outbreak ended up being so much worse than the original and I was willing to try anything and everything. The one store that sold tea tree oil in my town was completely out, so I took other advice to try oil of oregano. I really hope no one out there tries this like I did! This burned me so badly I almost screamed! I tried cold milk like I had used during the original outbreak, but that and nothing else seemed to help. Thank goodness the meds, vitamins, and tea tree oil arrived in the mail within a day or two. I am now taking Vitamin C with Zinc every day, as well as L-Lysine. What's hard for me is to know exactly what to avoid during an outbreak. I've heard beer, wine, coffee, green tea, nuts, and other things. I guess I have a hard time believing something unless I see it. Has anyone noticed significant differences during an outbreak when they avoid these things? And do I really need to avoid them in my everyday diet?

On another note, I met someone almost immediately after my diagnosis. He is wonderful and loving and accepting of the situation. I'm amazed in a way that he didn't turn and run when I told him. It's not perfect, but we're trying to figure it out and go on with our life together.

I really appreciate this forum where people can find hope and comfort in numbers. Every outbreak for me is a reminder of a mistake I made that changed my life forever. But I'm not dying, life will go on, and all of us can make the best of the situation. We all need to remember that It is only a skin condition and I hope that it won't keep us all from finding love and fulfilling relationships.

Hi acceptandbehappy!!! I like that name!! : ) Thank you for sharing your story. I'm fairly new to this still only been a month. I've read so many conflicting dietary recommendations it's been hard. I have still been struggling with what to eat what not to eat. I haven't yet noticed an outbreak due to eating chocolate or nuts or even green tea. I started drinking decaffinated green tea instead of my usual coffee. Today I did get a latte. Some of the other great people on this forum have recommended keeping a healthy diet but have also said not to be afraid to indulge. I just do these foods or drinks in moderation and I drink a ton of water also, not sure if this helps. I guess it is a matter of trial and error in that department. I have had a mild experience so far. I must admit although I was already eating healthy this has made me more mindful of eating for health. I'm not sure if that helps. But you are not alone in trying to figure out what the best method is. There are so many people on this forum who are of great resource.