• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes Vaccine?

yes and no. even if they are in phase 2 trials it may be years before anything comes to market and in the first run it will be very expensive. im not holding my breath. I found some of the comment interesting though. Its not wise to wait for a cure, but to just go on with life. there was a promising vaccine in 2012 that eventually tanked. im thinking a true cure would stand a better chance from accidental discovery than direct research.

This part of the article was the one I found most appealing. If treatment comes down to 1 shot every 6 months or so.

But those with Herpes Simplex Virus-2 are somewhat lacking in options for treatment – they can use antivirals like GlaxoSmithKline’s Valtrex, but serious options really dry up there. Though Valtrex, which can now be taken as a generic, shows an 80 percent decrease in viral shedding, it has to be taken several times a day. The benefit of one of the next vaccines being developed by Agenus, Genocea and others is that it could be given only a handful of times, with boosters offered at six-month or year-long increments – changing the game, potentially, for the treatment of such a widespread disease.

Well, this reminds me of the issues with the Depo-Provera birth control shot - which sounds like a lovely thing in that you only need it every 3 months, until you consider the possible side effects:

Side effects of Depo-Provera may include:

Abdominal pain

Acne

Breast soreness

Decreased interest in sex

Depression

Dizziness

Headaches

Irregular periods and breakthrough bleeding

Loss of bone mineral density that may not be completely reversible

Nervousness

Weakness and fatigue

Weight gain

Consult your health care provider as soon as possible if you have:

Depression

Heavy bleeding or concerns about your patterns of bleeding

Pus, prolonged pain, redness, itching or bleeding at the injection site

Severe lower abdominal pain

Serious allergic reaction

Signs of a blood clot in your leg, such as persistent pain in your calf

Signs of a blood clot in your lung, such as coughing blood, sharp chest pain or sudden shortness of breath

Signs of a stroke, such as a sudden severe headache, problems with vision or speech, or numbness in an arm or a leg

Signs of a blood clot in your eye, such as sudden partial or complete blindness

Other eye problems, such as double vision

Signs of jaundice, such as yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes

Sudden onset of severe headaches

And isn't it convenient that they can't do it in one shot? So it's another ongoing moneymaker for Big Pharma again. I for one hope they can come up with something that is a true cure or that only needs one series to knock the virus into submission... I'd be VERY careful about being amongst the first to get this particular vaccine :/

problem is our options are a source of ongoing income for big pharma. I did read an article from an Australian company ( and one can always count on the greed of corporations) that its a potential 6 billion dollar market to develop a vaccine. tho as preventative or therapeutic the article didn't say. the company was working on one for viral loads that would make it non transmittable. though I am seeing a multi shot treatment with boosters. if it makes it thru trial AND its safe ( given that its Australian I feel better than our utterly corrupt FDA dealing with it) it will be years and very expensive at least at first. when some other company steals the info and makes a similar one or the 17 year paten runs out then it becomes more cost realistic.

@New_Moon

There are fewer options for several reasons

1) Herpes doesn't kill or permenantly maim you ... researchers are interested in finding cures for cancer and Parkinsons and the like over a nuisance skin condition in a inconvenient place.

2) About the time that research WAS being put towards Herpes (in the 80's) a MUCH more life changing STD (HIV) came along and all funding went there for 25+ yrs. Herpes paled in comparison in regards to honest quality of life issues when compared to HIV.

3) Even when someone comes up with a drug or vaccine, the process for getting it approved is VERY difficult. So for the Big Pharma to fund it would need a pretty much guarantee that it would go through to take it on... :(

(((HUGS)))

• 4 weeks later...