• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpesselect positive and WB negative for HSV 2

Hi all,

I was tested positive on July 15 with

Hsv 1 > 5

Hsv2 = 2.43

I got my WB on 8/25 and just got the result this Wednesday of hsv1 pos and hsv2 NEG!!!!

So my question on hsv1 - how do I know if it's oral or genital? I never had an outbreak and have tested thru culture of discharges and came back negative always. I been having symptoms - like burning legs , pain in my lower back , irritation of vulva area but never had a sore or lesion whatsoever for last 8 weeks now . Went to doctor at least 13 times within this time frame and no one saw anything. I was so stress thinking I have hsv2 but now that's neg... I been thinking about hsv1. I don't recall ever having a cold sore on my lips ever and nor down and under .... And with amount of stress and depression on hsv2 .... If I had have hsv1 wouldn't I have an outbreak?

How do I tell my partner in the future about it?

Thanks any advice would be grateful!

God bless, S

Congratulations on your negative Western Blot. It definitely sounds like you don't have HSV-2. After adulthood about 80% of U.S. citizens have an oral infection with HSV-1. In a very comprehensive study with 60,000 participants, 32% of genital infections with HSV were with HSV-1. Here is the study: http://jcm.asm.org/content/48/1/150.full

Even so, the number of cases of HSV-1 occurring genitally is far lower than the number of cases of oral HSV-1 infection, for the simple reason that the percentage of individuals infected with HSV-1 genitally, is much lower than the percentage of individuals infected with HSV-1 orally. So the odds are clearly in your favor that it is oral HSV-1. Unfortunately, genital HSV-1 tends to be very tame, and after the first year of infection, the number of outbreaks averaged less than 1 per year, according to one reliable study. HSV-1 orally, you could have had since you were a child, and you may have gotten "cold sores" around your lips then, but you don't now because your immune system has the virus "under control."

Good luck to you,

Thanks river! I followed ur story on this forum as well as medhelp. I hope u r dealing better with ur situation and I always thought u were negative to begin with :).

I just don't know what to say in the future as oral vs genital is a big difference in the mind. I would never want to transmit this to anyone without letting them know. I just hope the guy I would eventually fall for would be the 80% then it would be a none issue. I think it's very rare to contract hsv1 again .

Thank u and God bless, S