• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Annoyed by my doctor...BIG TIME

I called my OBGYN to discuss the details of my initial diagnosis five years ago because the whole thing was such a blur I really don't remember. I believe there was a swab done on one of the lesions and that it came back positive, however it did occur to me that I wasn't typed at the office I was typed at my GP's when I asked him for Valtrex. He asked what type I had and I didn't know so he assumed HSV-2 when I said my outbreak was genital. So, given this, I wanted the details again so I can be more informed for my partner. Not only did they not save those records, but when I asked if he and I could come in for a full panel and HSV blood test they flat out refused to see him and told me I needed a consultation first because they "don't just do those tests randomly."

Ummm...WHY THE HELL NOT? Thanks for being a part of the problem. He'll get a full physical when he reports in Germany, but the military, like civilian docs, does not test for HSV automatically and I want to be with him in case a hammer falls. Because he recently told me a story that indicated he was diagnosed with HSV-1 visually when he was in Iraq. He had an apparent outbreak on his neck. Two doctors called herpes and gave him antivirals.

What annoys me even further is that my test was done with a prior OBGYN who did not transfer the records. So the nurse, at one point, said to me, "We have no record of a diagnosis, you told us you had herpes and we believed you." WHAT?!

So I going to get retested so I can be "rediagnosed" with details. And I need to find a place that will test him for antibodies before he leaves to report for duty next week. If he already has a possible history (which could also have been shingles...it went away after the antivirals and never returned) we both should know and he deserves to have someone with him. But I'm annoyed that I'm trying to be responsible post disclosure and a doctor is refusing to test him or even myself on short notice.

Go to Planned Parenthood with your BF - they will know what to do and what to look for and how to explain it all to him. You can get tested together (make it a fun "date" if you can ... see how much humor you can see while you are there) and make sure to ASK for a hard copy of your results (you should have a file with any test results you have for anything anyway for exactly the reason you just encountered ... Dr's shred records after 5-7 years and I don't blame them ... the Massage Clients records I have take up a fair bit of space and the majority are not even active with me right now so I shred mine after 6 years.

Because he recently told me a story that indicated he was diagnosed with HSV-1 visually when he was in Iraq. He had an apparent outbreak on his neck. Two doctors called herpes and gave him antivirals.

Well, it's *possible* he has HSV1 there, especially if he ever wrestled (it's called Herpes Gladatorium there) but there's no way in HELL any Dr should diagnose that visually. If it ever happens again he needs to insist on a swab to confirm.

He asked what type I had and I didn't know so he assumed HSV-2 when I said my outbreak was genital.

Uh - 50% of new genital cases are HSV1 ... tell him that to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME and then get thee to a new OBGYN. :p

(((HUGS)))

I actually don't know because I haven't needed it :p

But as far as I know they do. I just looked at the Planned Parenthood main site and they mention blood tests so you may want to inquire again ... it may have been the particular Dr's preference/belief that you don't need the blood test or they thought you were too recently exposed for it to be accurate?

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-info/stds-hiv-safer-sex/herpes

im past that point. did the blood test at a private lab but the doctor at PP said only swab because the other is cost prohibitive. which I think may be poppycock as its only 49 or 59 at the lab. in my meds visit she did say she didn't like the blood test cause it said what but not where. however in my case the bumps around my naughty bits made it abundantly obvious.