• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How many of you have transferred herpes?

I am curious how many of you, or people you know, have transmitted the virus to your partner? I see a lot about the low risk of transfer to males and medication and so on. I would like to see the other side. I am trying to make a decision myself but when everything is about the positive and no negative I get a bit suspicious. If there is little to no negative great, but I need to ask.

I have hsv2. Diagnosed january this yr. Had one hook up march or april... and to my knowledge he didnt get it and still doesnt have h. We used a condom.

Im now with my bf since june, im on anitvirals, no condoms, and so far bf doesnt have any symptons prodromes or o.b. but i want to encourage him to get a blood test next month just to make sure i havent passed it..

Some ppl still end up getting it. Iits a tricksy lil virus..

@localver

Hello and Welcome!

I passed the virus to my now ex-husband ... but at the time (30+ yrs ago) there was little to no information on Herpes and I thought my *rash* was just that ... it wasn't until he was diagnosed that I learned of my status..... and it took about a year or two into our marriage for him to get it with LOTS of sex including when I was just getting over my "rash" or when I was uncomfortable but too horny to care ... :p

I've since had 2 BF's that I dated for about 3 yrs each - one I used antivirals, one I didn't (his choice) and to my knowledge neither got it from me.

The CDC says that the vast majority of cases are from people who are asymptomatically shedding .... and I would guess that most of them are in the 80% of those who are totally unaware that they have the virus, because those of us who know we have it will take extra precautions (anti-virals, condoms, and abstaining if there is *anything* weird happening down there) to protect our partners ... when we do all that, we can get the risk down as low as 1-2% for a female to give it to a male (4-5% male to female) which is about the same risk as getting pregnant while on BC or dying in a car accident in your lifetime ;)

If the virus was THAT contagious, a whole lot more people would have it ... sadly (and I was just as stupid as anyone here) even with the knowledge of the possibility of HIV, people still have sex with new/casual partners without condoms before discussing STD risks. IMO the biggest risk nowadays is the fact that most people don't know you can pass H from the mouth to the genitals (HSV1) via oral sex ... which is backed by the fact that 50% of all new genital cases are now in that category ... and given that 80% of the population had Oral H and 80% don't know they have it, you can see that our battle to slow the spread of H is more with the lack of education and ignorance. Those of us with H are more likely to have the conversations about STDs and take precautions than the rest of the population, which in a weird, twisted way, may make us "safer" to be with ;)