• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV vs. HPV

So, lately I've noticed an interesting phenomenon among my friends with HPV. A couple of them seem to judge herpes more harshly because their HPV has "gone away" and herpes can't do that. Now, we all know herpes isn't a big deal and that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but placing that argument aside...is it true that once HPV "clears," that's it? There's no chance of giving someone that same strain of HPV a few years down the road? Should people who had HPV a few years ago still disclose after a normal pap reading?

Now, I know this is more of an HPV question than a herpes question; but I see that there are some regulars on this forum who have experienced both. And I'm just trying to get an understanding of why people look at HPV as a non-issue compared to herpes.

From a physical standpoint only, is one "better" than the other? Personal anecdotes appreciated, scientific evidence is welcomed too :)

Yes, HPV can clear, depending on the strain and the person. The strange thing is that there's no test to tell if a guy has HPV unless he has actual physical symptoms (aka warts). So because of that, no guy can really know if he's a carrier. It's a big question mark. So yes, since HPV can clear and 80% of Americans will at some point in their life get it, there seems to be less stigma associated with it. Of course, I also have heard of plenty of people who have had HPV for many, many years.

I think this whole "which STD is better/worse" phenomenon shows people's natural tendency to compare and contrast so that they can feel better about themselves. If something else can be worse, then that means what they have is somehow better. But hey, an STD is an STD as far as I'm concerned. Equal opportunity. Our culture will eventually catch up to that fact.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: