• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

IGg negative, culture positive but can't differentiate b/t hsv1 & 2?

Does this mean my current partner definitely gave this to me? I was with someone else a few months ago, but I'm just trying to figure things out. My current partner is coming undone at the thought that a) He did this to me and b) the shock of finding this out for himself. I've suggested he get tested, but he's still reeling right now. Just searching for answers so I can move on with this.

Thanks. I understand that a male or female could be a carrier without symptoms. I'm just trying to figure out if this was definitely him or perhaps I got it a few months back and don't have antibodies yet. The fact that the culture can't differentiate is confusing me. The nurse was even confused.

I'm not even sure why I'm asking the question to be honest. No matter the type, I'm positive regardless.

When did you end your last relationship? If it's over 3-4 months ago then odds are it's the current BF. To be honest, having your first OB so soon after you started dating points to him too.

And it helps to know which one you have ... because it will help you to determine where his is *likely* to be .. and if it doesn't work out, it's useful to know for future disclosures ... IE: if you have HSV1 genital and a future partner has had cold sores their change of getting it from you genitally is lower... not impossible, but it helps because they have the antibodies. If you have HSV2, then you would be safe for receiving Oral Sex as only 1% of all oral herpes is HSV2