• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

First real herpes disclosure ... first real rejection?

I just came upon this thread, and it applies to what I'm going through right now. I have GHSV-1 and 3 days ago I disclosed to the guy I've been dating for almost 3 months. We had already slept together a couple times WITH protection... which I know is a taboo subject, but I've had it for 7+ years and even had unprotected sex for 3 years with a consenting partner who never contracted it, I take valtrex daily, and have not had an outbreak since my initial one over 7 years ago.

The night this all happened, we were talking about our "status" and he was pressuring me to go without condoms if we were going to be exclusive... so I figured this was the time to fess up. I told him the risks of transmission (slim with my type!), safety precautions we can take, and gave him the disclosure handout. He said he needs a week to think about it, but it's agonizing! Now it's just a waiting game, but I too can relate to feeling like it's unfair that I have to wait in pain while who knows what he's thinking. I want to send a quick text to just say "hey how's it going, how do you feel today" but after reading this thread, I'll give him the week he asked for.

In the future, I think I will ALWAYS disclose before it gets this far. Not only to be fair to my partner, but also because I think it's only that much harder now that feelings have developed on my end

and P.S. this would definitely not the first time someone has ditched me after disclosing, but I really like this guy and I usually disclose earlier before I get so emotionally attached... kicking myself for that one :-/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dallas2015

Hello and Welcome!

Glad this thread seems to have helped you ... it's funny ... many people with H believe they are the *only* person going through "X" (there's many scenarios that get repeated) yet I see the same stories on here every week ... and it always makes me happy when I read about someone who has had a revelation after reading about another persons similar experience....

We do encourage people to always disclose before any sexual contact - even though they may have never had an OB or they are on anti-virals, or they have H1, the vast majority of us got this from someone who never gave us that choice ... AND, as you are learning, once we get sexual, there's a whole 'nuther layer of emotions to deal with if the person chooses to end the relationship after disclosure :(

Whatever happens, we are here for you ...

(((HUGS)))