• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Hsv1 transmission routes

Hey someone might correct me, but I think they can both be transmitted the same way as they are basically the same...with oral it can be through straws as you can take a sip and instantly pass it to somebody else within a matter of seconds. With hsv2 generally being below it's labelled skin to skin contact because generally there's nothing we share within seconds to someone else. It's a myth you can get it of toilet seats because someone can't come in and sit down within 5 seconds IF you got virus on the seat...because it CAN be spread through sex toys as this is immediate contact...I hope that clarifies

*Generally* it is skin to skin contact. But with Oral Herpes, if you have a full on OB then it's not a good idea to share anything .... that is how kids pass it to each other. I think one of the bigger culprits with adults is Chapstick ... where someone uses theirs and a friend asks to use it.

To be honest, it's best to get another straw if you are sharing drinks anyway just in case you have something else that you may not know you are carrying (flu typically) .... ;)

And to throw in here for even more detail, the reason that herpes might be transmitted via utensils, sharing drinks, etc. is if the fluid inside of an active herpes outbreak gets onto an object, then it can survive outside of the body for long enough to possibly transmit in that way if the other person then touches that spot on the object where there's a break in their skin that allows the virus entry to the body. So when you have an active outbreak, just take more precautions around that kind of stuff.

Other than that, asymptomatic viral shedding that happens between full-on outbreaks doesn't survive off the surface of the skin for long enough to transmit, so no need to be paranoid about passing herpes other than skin-to-skin contact in between outbreaks.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: