• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Question about condoms

First I want to say thank you to everyone on this site the discussions I read have definitely not only been helpful but educational I recently found out I'm positive for hsv1/2 in August from my blood test & should find today through swab hopefully because it was in the healing stage (An outbreak I believe was triggered from stressing out on being hsv1/2 positive) My mind have since been at ease due to this website & disclosing to my bestfriend who also positive. I have read on webmd that condoms that contain spermicide nonoxynol-9 can irritate the vaginal membrane & the first thing I did was search my partner condom of choice trojan fire & ice & it contains spermicide nonoxynol-9.

My question is have anyone who hsv1/2 positive used condoms containing spermicide nonoxynol-9 & it triggered an outbreak or irritation?

@Queenie

Hello and welcome!

I personally have not heard of that ... but if you have only recently acquired Herpes then it's possible that it might trigger something ... not because of the spermicide, but because the "Fire and Ice" variety has an irritant (which is how it makes that wonderful tingling sensation) that *might* cause OB's because your system is still learning to control the virus .... but to be honest, sex in general (especially rough sex) can trigger OB's in the first year while things are settling down. ;)