• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Think I'm starting another herpes outbreak - need advice

I think I'm starting to have another OB again. I'm not due for my period for a couple more weeks. Getting the crampy feeling, my lower back is starting to get achy and when I wiped I found thicker discharge. My first OB happened a couple weeks before my period too and this is how it started last time. I just finished 13 days of anti-virals as of this past Friday ... 400mg of Acyclovir 3 x day. I have 6 days worth left. But, the doc told me she gave me extra on purpose and she called in refills just in case I needed them.

So, do I jump up and finish off the rest of the anti-virals I have or do I wait and see what happens? Not that I want to go through another OB, but I'm almost tempted to just hold off on the anti-virals just to see how long things take to happen. Just so I can understand better how my body will react to this. IDK. All I know is that if I'm going to get an OB every freaking month then I am going to ask my doc to put me on a daily suppressant. She told me to hold off on a daily suppressant to see how my body handles things, but IDK. *sigh* I really don't want to deal with this shit.

I went through something similar.. my symptons were differnt.. but ya.. good ol "aunt flow" had begun to trigger o.b.'s for me.

im on suppresive therapy now. One 500 mg of valtrex daily.

and when i have jad an o.b. with supressive... theyve been soooo minor. But right after my period..

Im on birth controll and skip my period. (I just Keep taking the pills).

so that way i dont get it every month.

i know alot of girls on here might disagree with that tho. Its up to you and your body on how u feel about that...

I think I'm sort of in your boat too.. I'm currently taking suppressives and I'm starting to feel strange tingles that remind me of what I felt before my second OB.. And I'm Pretty sure Iwill be starting any day now.. I'm not sure if its in my head, if it's my period coming, or if it's something else. I decided to double up for a few days just in case. I stopped The meds for an entire month and had my period without any issues.. Not sure why I seem to be having weird tingles now :-/

Thanks both. I just don't want to jump the gun with the antivirals. But, I'm pretty sure it's starting again. Just annoys me since I JUST finished the dose for the OB on Friday. Was kind of hoping I had some time before the next OB. *sigh* if I feel this way tomorrow morning I'm just going to go back on the anti-viral and finish up the rest of the script.

I finished my script after my first OB and weaned myself down to no meds.. Was med free for 4 weeks and was feeling super positive (and normal)! And then my second OB started and I was so bummed out.. But I decided to try and go med free.. That lasted 1 day.. I sort of said "screw this, I have these meds for a reason" and started back on them. It cleared up in 5 days and I've been on a suppressive dose since (about 2.5 weeks). It's a constant internal battle because I want my body to build immunity and what not.. But I need my sanity.. And being OB free keeps me semi sane.. I'm not sure what's going on at the moment since I'm feeling tingles, but I'm really hoping it turns out to be nothing!! Good luck and just listen to your body and do what you feel is best!! :-)

thanks @chinup. I know what you mean about saying screw it. Within the last two hours I've gone from giving it til tomorrow morning to deciding to take one before I go to bed tonight. I keep telling myself what I'm feeling is b/c of my period coming in the next couple weeks ... but I know better. If this was my period then I wouldn't be feeling like this til a couple days before my period not a couple weeks before. this sucks.

I'm sorry, hun! I hope the meds help fast! Are you just feeling weird things or are there bumps? It's so strange how different all of our bodies are when it comes to H.. Some have zero symptoms, others have terrible frequent obs, and still most of us experience different symptoms with our OBs.. tingles, itches, flu like symptoms, bumps and blisters.. I just don't understand it, I really don't! I didn't have any noticible symptoms with my first, just the bump I noticed. Second OB I felt a sharp pain right in the area the OB showed up in.. As a shooting pain through my left butt cheek.. So damn strange.. :-/

I don't either - at least we can all be in the dark on this together! :-) I haven't noticed any lesions, of course I haven't looked either. I just can't bring myself to look :( So, just the symptoms. I've gotten some chills (don't think I have a fever though) and I've been super tired last couple of days. And tonight I'm feeling like the beginning of the burning on my labia's. Nothing bad ... yet ... but that is what is making me decide to not wait until the morning. It hurt sooo bad, I really don't want to go through that again. In fact, gonna go get one now that way I can start a full day of the anti-virals tomorrow morning, one every 8 hours. dammit! i'm so f'ing pissed. anyway - thank you for talking with me. i'm going back to my Reese's Peanut Butter cup now ... hahaha

Odds are that the timing was against you - you went off the meds cold turkey at the time that you seem to be most vulnerable (2 weeks before your period).... so I would suggest going back on them (and get a 30 day supply from your Dr ... even if you don't use them all you will have them for OB's) ... stay on them until the OB is subsiding and then wean off over about 4-5 days..... and see how that goes.

The meds work best if you take them in the first 72 hrs of an OB ... and the sooner the better. I now can tell when I'm getting a OB long before the symptoms show up physically and I only need to take it for a day or so to start to get the OB to subside....

oh - i didn't realize I had to wean myself off of them :-( I thought it was kind of like an anit-biotic, when the script was done it was done. The doc only told me to take for 10 days, I just wanted a few extra days of taking them to feel better. OK, I've taken one tonight and will continue. Gonna get that refill too. Thank you! Having another reese's cup now ....

My mother would ship boxes of Reeses to me when I lived in England... and I didn't know the issue of peanuts or chocolate then so I scarfed them down as much as I wanted to ... if they were going to set me off, I should have had the mother of all OB's ....

Just shows how each person's body deals so differently with the virus :p

Yea I weaned myself down from 2G per day to 500mg before I stopped completely.. And I wish I could STOP looking lol. Every time I feel anything, mirror in hand lol. I've seen my whohaa more in the last 3 months than in my entire life lol! I'm sick of feeling paranoid at every tingle, itch, whatever!!!

Ugh have a Reece's for me too PLEASE! I ate almost all of my daughters halloween candy lol! After that and halloween parties and drinking and football on Sunday, Momma is back on her diet lol!!

All I do is look at my hoo ha too! It's so annoying. I literally don't know if I'm having an ob at this point or it's just a small pimple /cyst. So strange bc I've only had outbreaks on my right side n now I'm noticing small whiteheads /cysts on my left side and it's freaking me out. They don't hurt , maybe just a little tender to the touch .... Anyone else get these ? I think I'm just more involved with what's going on down there bc of the herpes . Annoying and gives me anxiety bc I wonder if it could be just a small outbreak? Who knows . Anyway I went off birth control and taking my valtrex and supplements daily. Hoping to stay ob free .

I have tried really hard to not let myself look at my hoohaa in the mirror unless it hurts or I am about to get intimate with my partner. Mainly because every time I look down there I will find some bump or freckle and convince myself the world is ending. In realty, most of our little bumps and textures down there are normal. My gyno reminds me of this every time I get paranoid and insist on an exam. It sometimes helps to google "normal bumps on labia" etc to remind me that a healthy hooha can still look a little strange.