• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I blame the medical profession and Planned Parenthood...They won't test for herpes!

My boyfriend called PP to make an appt to get tested for herpes. He has never had an outbreak but he DOES have herpes. He gave it to me. How do I know this? I am in an open relationship and he gave it to me and his other girlfriend. We broke out within days of each other. That's a whole other story but we all know he gave it to us. He's never had symptoms and still continues to not have symptoms. But I've been encouraging him to go on suppression therapy to protect women he has relationships with. Planned Parenthood refuses to test him because he doesn't have a sore. And therefore they won't give him a prescription to get the medication. He argued with them but it's their policy not to test without a sore. So, he'll continue to infect people and PP doesn't care. We practice safe sex. We have always practiced safe sex. But apparently he's got oral (HSV-1) because that's what what I have. So he has no symptoms and has oral sex with someone and can pass it. It happened to us. But the medical profession refuses to believe its an issue unless or until HE has an outbreak. I ran into this when I was diagnosed. I was told, "what's the big deal if you never have a sore"? I'm so upset with this attitude!! Would herpes be so wide spread if they actually tested for it as part of an STD test?? I have never heard of anyone using dental dams and oral sex is so popular among teenagers these days. This attitude truly scares me. I'm going to write a letter to PP but it won't do any good. His only option is to pay to see a private doctor now or go to Mexico and get the medication. I'm very angry at this policy by PP and the attitude that if you don't have a sore, who cares?!

Insist on getting an IgG test. There's no good reason they would deny access to testing like that.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: