• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

prednisone ... will it cause a herpes outbreak?

I have really had the week from hell had a very emotional two days with the loss of my horse in the midst of all that I hurt my back and went to the doctors today and he gave me a medrol dose pack I thought I read somewhere that steroids can cause an outbreak unfortunately because of my emotional stress I have a very mild outbreak going on if I take the medril ose pack will it make it worse I take Valtrex everyday lysine and vitamin B complex and still got a very mild start of an outbreak I just want to make sure I'm not going to make it worse if I take the steroid for my back anybody can give me any information I would so appreciate it thank you

• 4 years later...

I had to take prednisone for the last 4 days due to my asthma acting up. I’ve only ever had very mild outbreaks if hardly any at all. Well after the 50mg of prednisone I had a severe break out that I have never experienced and it’s in a location I’ve never had. It sucks. This is my second outbreak and it seems to be getting worse. Time for a trip to the doctors. 😔

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Denstist today for a root canal. They gave me steroid shot with some antibiotics. I was wondering if you think the shot will cause an outbreak? I was also prescribed prednisone but I’ve done too much research that says not to take it so I’m not. I do worry about the shot causing an outbreak!

• 4 months later...
On 3/20/2015 at 2:39 PM, overwhelmed1 said:

I have really had the week from hell had a very emotional two days with the loss of my horse in the midst of all that I hurt my back and went to the doctors today and he gave me a medrol dose pack I thought I read somewhere that steroids can cause an outbreak unfortunately because of my emotional stress I have a very mild outbreak going on if I take the medril ose pack will it make it worse I take Valtrex everyday lysine and vitamin B complex and still got a very mild start of an outbreak I just want to make sure I'm not going to make it worse if I take the steroid for my back anybody can give me any information I would so appreciate it thank you

I was on Prednisone for 21 days for chronic sinusitis and ended up getting my first outbreak ever.

I exercised very poor judgement by hooking up with someone with a very noticeable cold sore on their lip and had enough common sense not to kiss them but let them perform oral sex on me.

Worried that I contracted Herpes I went to my urologist about 4 - 6 wks later for a blood test and he said it was negative for HSV1 so I thought "whew what a relief that is"!!

Ffwd to October of that same year when my ENT prescribed Prednisone for 21 days and tpwards the end of the dosage I ended up with genital herpes from the HSV1 virus and it was quite painful. Got on Valtrex.

Ffwd to this March and had another outbreak while on no steroids but was on Cipro for a " possible" UTI.

I do believe diet can DEFINITELY TRIGGER RECURRENT OUTBREAKS.

I noticed that I did have a fair amount of chocolate peanut butter pie one wkd ( 4 pieces) then within another week had 2 more scoops of peanut butter prior to that second outbreak.

The Infectious Disease doctor I went to told me that you get recurrent outbreaks when your immune system is weak or compromised not from certain foods but I'm not so sure about that!!