• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Two negative tests but still worried and possible cold sores

A little over six months ago I had what seemed like an initial genital herpes outbreak. It started with swelling, redness, itching and burning that felt like a bad yeast infection, I used a single dose anti-fungal cream which increased the itching and burning to a nearly intolerable level. Within the next 48 hours small round blisters appeared and then opened leaving shallow, round lesions that matched uncomfortably well with the results of my google image search for herpes sores. The pain dissipated after several days though the lesions were still present and I took myself to planned parenthood.

The clinician who examined me diagnosed me with herpes based on visual evidence, but the culture from the swab we took came back negative, though I was told this was most likely because the sample had been taken after the lesions had been open for a few days, and were less likely to be releasing fluid containing the virus.

Last week I took the IgG blood test for hsv 1 and 2 as well as the IgM, and received a call today that the results were negative. However, the symptoms I had six months ago still have me worried, I have looked into the possibility of the anti-fungal cream (Tioconazole) I took causing the lesions, and there seems to be an extremely low, but not entirely convincing correlation.

I have also been noticing very small, circular lesions on the inside of my lip (oral) in the last several months that sometimes are mildly uncomfortable but don't tingle or appear to have a blister stage (that I have caught, anyway). When I write the symptoms out like this, I think I am probably being paranoid, but I have never had cold sores before and the shape reminds me of the lesions I found on my labia 6 months ago (do these sound at all like cold sores, anyone?). I have not had anything resembling a second outbreak genitally.

Anyhow, while I realize I am, perhaps being somewhat paranoid now, this is something I want to move on from, and I'm already leaning towards letting go on further testing unless I have another episode- while disclosing that it's possible I have herpes to future sex partners, and having my current boyfriend get tested again as his last test was only a little over a month after my potential exposure. However, the Western Blott is in the back of my mind....

Does anyone have any advice? Is the negative blood test reasonably solid (not 100% but in the mid-high 90's) evidence that I probably am not carrying the virus, or would it be in my boyfriend and potential future lovers' best interests for me to continue testing?

Hi nmo,

well i am not really sure but your symptoms sound like herpes sorry ,but the test not always show 100 % trueth.i think you should get tested again by blood and directly test at blisters to see if they can confirm the result.....but anyway if this will be positiv its not the end of live...this is not AIDS...its not killing you....it will give you hard time but it will change your live.....and for most people in a good way, i know it sound strange but herpes people change their mind about live. ..it will make you think about yourself and it will help you to make better decisions.well but maybe its not herpes , so please go to doctor and do the test again fo confirmation.i wish you the best

Hi nmo,

I totally agree with Judith. It sounds like it may be Herpes, and it's even mroe suspicious that the clinician diagnosed it based on visual evidence. My clinician told me right away "This looks like a herpes outbreak. We'll get you tested to see if it's HSV1 or HSV2." The 1st outbreak is the worst, and my pain lasted 32.5 weeks. You said that you're pain dissapated after a couple of days? According to the CDC, The first herpes outbreak usually lasts 2-3 weeks and the pain can last 1-6 weeks.

I would definitely get your blood checked again. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

I found an article online that was posted in the NY times. Here's an excerpt.

"Like all tests, the type-specific tests are not perfect. It takes about three to six weeks for individuals to develop detectable antibodies for herpes simplex. Virtually everyone will have detectable antibodies by 16 weeks.

Get tested again if you have a recent exposure that falls within the window period. This also means that a first-time recognized outbreak may represent a new infection and may be occurring during a period in which your body has not yet developed a detectable antibody response. Again, the recommendation would be to get a repeat serologic test in four to eight weeks."

So yes. check your blood again to be sure. And no matter what the outcome is- just know that everything is okay.

Herpes is often so much more psychologically distressing than physically distressing because of our fears of what other people will think. I've had it for almost a year now and my life is totally awesome. All of my friends still love me. I make new connections with people all the time. I can do anything I want with my life. There's different conversations in the bedroom now; and it's all totally doable, manageable, and can even be an opportunity to have more "real" conversations, creating pathways for honesty, respect, and love.

Good luck with everything! Sending love.

-Katie