• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Please help I just got diagnosed with GHSV1

Hello community I want to thank all of you for accepting me here, you all seem like wonderful people and maybe you can help me out a bit.

I am a 30 year old male that just got diagnosed with genital herpes type 1 two weeks ago. I had a culture swab test and came up positive for Hsv1. These two last week's have been a living hell for me. I was given acyclovir for ten days and today it has been 14 days since I went to the std Clinic. My first breakout wasn't as painful as I've read other posts. My following questions are:

1. Since it's been 2 weeks since my outbreak can i return back to my normal sex life?(everything is healed) I plan on using condoms and I'm not on type of suppressive therapy. My gf is negative for any type of herpes and don't want to pass this virus on to her. Is it safe to have sex even though my skin has already healed?

2. What are the percentages of genital to genital contact with and without protection? Has there been anybody that has had unprotected and protected Intercourse in this community that haven't passed it on to their gfs or wife's?

3. Can I receive oral sex from her? without me using a condom? What are the chances i can pass this on to her genital to oral? How much does using protection decrease my chances to pass it on to her?

4. I used to lift heavy weights at the gym prior to this and was in excellent shape. Can I take whey protein and eat all protein foods? I also used to drink occasionally on the weekends do I have to change any of this? Is there any connection between protein, sugar or alcohol related to genital type 1?

Thank you all very much if you can really help me out I'd so appreciate it! God bless everyone. I'll keep everyone in my prayers.

Hi mani, welcome aboard and thanks for the blessing. I have ghsv2 but I'll try to answer from what I've read..

1. Give it a week or so after the OB completely disappears because you're more likely to be shedding during the aftermath. Make sure your gf knows there's still a small chance of catching it with a condom.

2. There's a thread about this question already, but will struggle to find it on my phone. It's a small number (something like 10% per 100 sex sessions), which is halved if you have ghsv1 rather than 2, halved if you use a condom, halved with suppressive therapy and halved if the h+ person is female.

3. It's possible for her to catch oral herpes from giving you oral, but it's really not a big deal.. 80% of adults have oral hsv1 already. Chances are she already has it anyway!

4. I don't know.. those things made me want to throw up before H! Probably depends on How far you push yourself, and what body type you aim for. Probably if you push to be like Ronnie Coleman that's gonna put strain on other parts of your body. I wouldn't stop drinking beer, part of getting over h is being able to relax again.

Hope you can get this filed away and return to normality asap. Take care

Hello community I want to thank all of you for accepting me here, you all seem like wonderful people and maybe you can help me out a bit.

Hello and Welcome! Hope we can shed light on some of your questions 🙂

I am a 30 year old male that just got diagnosed with genital herpes type 1 two weeks ago. I had a culture swab test and came up positive for Hsv1. These two last week's have been a living hell for me. I was given acyclovir for ten days and today it has been 14 days since I went to the std Clinic. My first breakout wasn't as painful as I've read other posts. My following questions are:

1. Since it's been 2 weeks since my outbreak can i return back to my normal sex life?(everything is healed) I plan on using condoms and I'm not on type of suppressive therapy. My gf is negative for any type of herpes and don't want to pass this virus on to her. Is it safe to have sex even though my skin has already healed?

Odds are she gave it to you via Oral sex because most people have their 1st OB (if they are going to have them) within a couple weeks of getting H - 80% of people have H1 orally ...60% by the time they are young adults ... and 80% don't know they have it. Odds are she's never been blood tested because you have to specifically ask for the test.

So, assuming that, she would have antibodies to it anyway -- which afford her *some* protection but are not a guarantee to protect her. Depending on where the OB is, condoms may afford reasonable protection or none at all - ie: if the OB isn't covered by the condom, it's pretty useless...LOL If it is, then while you *may* be shedding elsewhere, it would be a lot lighter.

2. What are the percentages of genital to genital contact with and without protection? Has there been anybody that has had unprotected and protected Intercourse in this community that haven't passed it on to their gfs or wife's?

Stats and info here:

Handouts + disclosure e-book:

https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes facts video

3. Can I receive oral sex from her? without me using a condom? What are the chances i can pass this on to her genital to oral? How much does using protection decrease my chances to pass it on to her?

Well if I am right and she has it orally (I'd have her get blood tested for it) then she'd be ok no matter what. If not, then the facts are that the virus sheds 1/3rd less down below then it does in the mouth area so the risk is lower BUT H1 prefers the area around the mouth... so the big thing is never ever playing if you think you are having an OB/prodrome and/or if she has chapped lips/sores/etc on her mouth.

4. I used to lift heavy weights at the gym prior to this and was in excellent shape. Can I take whey protein and eat all protein foods? I also used to drink occasionally on the weekends do I have to change any of this? Is there any connection between protein, sugar or alcohol related to genital type 1?

Some people have food triggers - the main thing is keeping the Lysine/Arginine balance in the body in check .... AND you will simply have to find out what triggers you and what doesn't 😉

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-triggers/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1821/food-drinks-that-causeprolong-herpes-outbreaks/

http://www.sandiegohomeopathy.com/downloads/Lysine_Arginine_Foods.pdf Lysine Arginine ratio of foods

Hope this all helps a bit 🙂

(((HUGS)))

Thanks so much for the replies Hugsssss. I really appreciate the information. I don't think she has any herpes. I at the time was having a rough time and went back to my ex go and I am 100% sure she gave it to me. She gave me oral sex I notified my ex and she went to go get some blood tests but came out neg for herpes. I want to know if a simple blood test can determine if she's negative? I recall seeing a pimple by her lip but who knows. Should I ask her to do other types of testing that would give a more accurate result? It took her about a week and a half to get her results. As bad as this may sound I wish my current gf gave me the herpes. A Dr examined her real quick down there there and said it didn't look like nothing. If I want to get my go to do an accurate herpes test what type do you suggest? She's never had a cold sore from what I remember and I've asked her several times and she's said never. This is why I'm assuming she's negative.

I know I've asked this before but says he is not positive for any type of herpes can i have sex with her once I hit the three week mark? Of course with a condom? I'm scared of passing this to her and would kill me inside if I gave it to her. Can I get oral sex as well without a condom? Will I be safe?

This has been killing me I find myself crying countless times. I wish God would help us all in finding a cure. God bless

So who were you with in the week or two before the OB? Because that is the likely "giver". Your GF certainly could have oral HSV1 and not know it - 60% of young people have it by the time they are young adults and 80% of the population will have it orally by the time they are 50. And 80% of them won't know they have it. That's why so many people get HSV1 genitally .. the giver never knew they had it and the few that did either forgot they had it as a kid and/or didn't know you can pass it asymptomatically between OB's.

I would get the GF to have a FULL STD panel (and you should do one if you had sex with the ex during a break) and tell her she has to ASK for the Herpes test. Herpes oral OB's on the mouth usually are like a swelling and an ulcer... tho some have "papercut" OB's and 80% don't have anything (that they recognize as an OB.).

A Dr examined her real quick down there there and said it didn't look like nothing.

Uh - she needs to get another Dr - because the Dr should have advised her to get a blood test now and if negative, another in 4 months or so. You can't diagnose (either way) Herpes with "a quick look".

Condoms only give 50% protection and that's because of 2 things: where you have your OB's (if the condom doesn't cover the OB, it's not going to protect your partner) AND the fact that even if it does, you *could* be shedding outside of that area. So there will always be a small risk of transference ... of course you can also take anti-virals which reduce the risk by another 50%... which now is getting the risk down even further. And Genital HSV1 sheds a LOT less down south than it does in the mouth and a lot less than HSV2 genitally. I don't know of any stats for HSV1 genital transmission to another (because all the studies are assumed that the person got it from oral sex) but suffice it to say that even without precautions the number will be below 5% risk M-Female transmission ... AND if she has it orally that will give her further protection (ie, you can't give more of it to her orally ... and it will reduce her risk even further of getting it genitally) .

All that said - fact of life is 80% of people have HSV1 orally and many have it genitally now too. So the odds are VERY high that if you walked away from her to "protect her" that at least 80% of the guys she dates will have it and most won't know they have it .. so the "positive" thing about being diagnosed positive is that YOU know to be careful and to either use precautions or at least find other ways to play if you are having prodromes...

So - plan of action would be to get her tested AND make sure that whatever her results, she understands the facts and risks and then LET HER CHOOSE how she wants to proceed and ALLOW her to make an ADULT choice either way..... and assuming she stays with you, your job is to just DO YOUR BEST to protect her and know that sometimes, things are not 100% in our control and deal with that if/when the time comes ... because a life well lived assumes risk ... (see my reply that I just left here about that: http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/6366/transfer-risk )

(((HUGS)))

You are really going to hate me but I was on a Friday with my gf then on Saturday I was with my ex gf. My ex gf got a blood test done and she was neg. I am now doubting it was my actual ex gf who gave it to me and it was my current gf. I got a full std panel and was neg for everything except herpes. So if I want my gf to get a herpes test I should ask specifically for an oral herpes blood test? Where I got my outbreak was in the lower portion of the penis it is now healed so it does cover it. I am assuming the condom does cover that area. It's a hard decision to take if I want to be intimidate with my gf now.

She needs to just ask for the Herpes test which should test for HSV1 AND 2 ... if she comes back HSV1+ it doesn't tell you WHERE it is but it's probably safe to assume that she would have it orally given that very few seem to pass HSV1 on when they have it genitally because it sheds so much less...

There are MANY discordant couples out there where the partner never gets HSV from their partner ... you just need to have a really straight conversation about it... about your relationship and about the facts about herpes ... then figure out where you are going from there....

Thanks so much you have helped me out so much I am forever grateful to you. You have been so much help. I am going to do a herpes test on my gf. I talked to her about it and she's ok with it. I also want to add if it's not too offensive to anybody but sometimes when I had sex with her it would hurt bad because she doesn't lubricate much and that would really hurt my penis. I have had unprotected sex with her all this time. My penis would be very sore the next day. Anyways I'll let you know what happens if that's OK with you. Much hugs and thank you so much!!