• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Allergic to Valtrex but not Acyclovir

I experienced my first outbreak about a month ago, was prescribed Acyclovir and had only minor side effects. I recently went to see my doctor who prescribed Valtrex as a suppresive therapy. 2 days into taking it, i started experiencing an itch like nothing else in my legs. It was as if bugs were crawling under my skin. I switched back to Acyclovir for suppression with minor nausea. I'm just wondering if Acyclovir is as effective as a suppresive? And if anyone has had a similar experience. Thank you!

I am currently 3 months into taking Acyclovir as a suppressive. It has worked wonders! No H symptoms at all.

However... I did suffer from a sort of all-over "hives" like situation for about a month. I suspected it to be an allergic reaction to Acyclovir, but thankfully it went away. So I do think people can be allergic to antivirals, and I do know that one has worked better for people than the other. I hope acyclovir works better for you!

Yes, it's just as effective - they came up with Valtrex for those who didn't want to take 2 pills a day (and to have yet another drug out there with a patent and therefore control on how much they can overcharge for it :p )

I've used acyclovir for several years in the past and my then BF never got it from me :)