• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Hsv 1 Genital Herpes Questions

I was diagnosed with HSV1 Genital Herpes about 4 years ago. It was a really rough at first but I started to give myself a break and stop stressing because I realized it was not as bad as I thought it was. Fast forward to about three months ago when I started dating my soon-to-be husband. I let him know about my condition and he still accepted me and truly loves me for who I am. I never thought I would find someone like him . He understood the risks and was willing to pay the price if anything happened. We really are best friends and I'm going to be with him forever. He recently told me that he contracted what I have . He sent me pictures and I confirmed that it indeed was hsv. He was embarrassed to tell me because he did not want me to feel bad since we could have prevented it .I did not know that I was shedding at the time we had intercourse 2 weeks prior because I had no symptoms(but since I was on my period, I noticed two little bumps afterwards---so this may have been how it happened). He says that he's fine and he is actually happy he has it because he said that he wants to share the same pain and afflictions as me. However, he does not want to go to the doctors because he is a strong believer in God and doesn't want to take any medicine, which I don't blame him for. I did take acyclovir and lidocaine on and off for a few years but then stopped it. We do want to have children in the future so I know we will both have to take medicine soon, but my questions are,

1.) Since we both have HSV1 on our genitals, if we give eachother oral, can we get it on our mouth as well? He loves oral and so do I but I want to be as cautious as possible. However, I've had the virus longer so I figured I have the antibodies and wouldn't get it in my mouth? What is the risk of transmission? I would hate to have it both genitally and orally.

2.) Kind of similar to question 1- but, if you already have HSV1, (genital) doesn't it stay that way? We cannot get type 2 (unless we have sex with someone that has type 2) right?

3.) Lastly, does anyone else have a story like this? Where they (the infected one) gave their loved one the virus (and they willingly knew the risks and accepted them) ? I am grateful for my partner, he is the only guy I have ever been honest with and he is the one I infected which breaks my heart but because of his strength and courage, he really makes me happy. I know it is my duty to help him and educate him as much as possible.

Share your story below I would love to hear about it.

Thanks everyone,

Jess

@jthomas93

Hello and Welcome!

He says that he's fine and he is actually happy he has it because he said that he wants to share the same pain and afflictions as me. However, he does not want to go to the doctors because he is a strong believer in God and doesn't want to take any medicine, which I don't blame him for. I did take acyclovir and lidocaine on and off for a few years but then stopped it. We do want to have children in the future so I know we will both have to take medicine soon, but my questions are,

Well, I hate to say this but God doesn't care how we deal with Herpes ... but I totally get the desire to not take meds and if you both have it, well, there's no use in either of you taking them unless your outbreaks become so bad that you need relief and for YOU ... the last month of pregnancy to protect the child from getting it during childbirth. YOu can't give each other "more" herpes once the virus is established (about 4 months after you get it) ... so there's no need for him to go on it at all unless it's for bad OB's ;)

1.) Since we both have HSV1 on our genitals, if we give eachother oral, can we get it on our mouth as well? He loves oral and so do I but I want to be as cautious as possible. However, I've had the virus longer so I figured I have the antibodies and wouldn't get it in my mouth? What is the risk of transmission? I would hate to have it both genitally and orally.

Well for one thing, if he's not been tested, you are *assuming* he has HSV1 ... just want to point that out. It's never a bad idea to get a proper diagnosis but if he just got it and the sores are healing odds are the test won't be conclusive for at least 4 months unless he has another OB and gets it swabbed.

Going on that assumption ... well, it's *possible* that you could get it orally ... I don't believe there are any stats on that but I'd say cut the normal oral to genital transmission in about half because the virus sheds a lot less in the genital region ... and it's always *possible* that you carried it orally already (60% of young people have oral herpes by the time they are young adults) and were asymptomatic ... in which case, again, you can't get "more" of it.

80% of the population has HSV1 orally - and 80% of them don't know it ... I personally got oral HSV1 as a 4 yr old and genital HSV2 as a late teen ... and neither has been more than a (sometimes really unpleasant) inconvenience for a short while.

2.) Kind of similar to question 1- but, if you already have HSV1, (genital) doesn't it stay that way? We cannot get type 2 (unless we have sex with someone that has type 2) right?

No - type 1 won't turn into type 2 - BUT you CAN get type 2 from someone who is carrying it ... which is why you really *should* get your BF to get blood tested ... just to make sure he's not an asymptomatic carrier ;)

3.) Lastly, does anyone else have a story like this? Where they (the infected one) gave their loved one the virus (and they willingly knew the risks and accepted them) ? I am grateful for my partner, he is the only guy I have ever been honest with and he is the one I infected which breaks my heart but because of his strength and courage, he really makes me happy. I know it is my duty to help him and educate him as much as possible.

My ex hubby got H from me because I didn't know what my "rash" was ... that was in our first or second year of marriage and we stayed married for 20 yrs - so yes, many will accept you with H.

Just want to point out - *IF* things ever start to go south with the two of you, don't EVER stay in the relationship either out of guilt or "gratitude" or fear that no one will accept you with it again. I see people on here who won't leave toxic relationships because they fear having to deal with it with anyone new and would rather stay in a bad relationship than "start over". Don't ... just ... don't ... ok???

(((HUGS)))