• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

True transmission rates on Valtrex...shedding info, etc

Hey guys, I've been on daily Valtrex for 3 months now...from everything I've read, shedding w/o Valtrex and w/o active lesions is 10-20% of days in a year. Valtrex cuts that in 1/2, to 5-10% of days per year. Is this a true and accurate number that you guys have experienced or seen? Also, I hear shedding can be an hourly type thing...shedding one moment, not shedding an hour later, etc...is this what you guys understand it to be?

I'm understanding that transmission is about 2% likely while on daily Valtrex. From studies I've seen, this is based on an average sex life...sex twice a week for a year. Is that accurate? Does this mean if I have sex, say 10 times per year, or 1/10th of the average in the test, then my transmission opportunity decreases to 1/10th of that of the study? 1/10th of 2% is 0.2% likelyhood of transmission?

Is there a cream that can be used before sex to "kill" active shedding on the surfact and/or help prevent transmission? I've heard zinc has shown signs of doing this...is there a recomended over the counter zinc cream?

Do you typically shed from the exact location of previous outbreaks? My outbreaks before Valtrex (none since I've started Valtrex) were all located above my saft and to the right...in my pubic hair. Can and does shedding occur all over, including my shaft, or does it typcially stay located in that one particular area.

Are there any studies that show the likelyhood of transmital based on location of outbreak?

Obviously, the worst part of HSV 2 is worring about an uninfected partner getting it...the disease itself isn't really that bad. Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I've been on daily Valtrex for 3 months now...from everything I've read, shedding w/o Valtrex and w/o active lesions is 10-20% of days in a year. Valtrex cuts that in 1/2, to 5-10% of days per year. Is this a true and accurate number that you guys have experienced or seen? Also, I hear shedding can be an hourly type thing...shedding one moment, not shedding an hour later, etc...is this what you guys understand it to be?

Well, given that shedding (outside of OB's) is asymptomatic we can't tell you exactly when any of us are shedding, but the data you quote is what they have found in testing situations.

I'm understanding that transmission is about 2% likely while on daily Valtrex. From studies I've seen, this is based on an average sex life...sex twice a week for a year. Is that accurate? Does this mean if I have sex, say 10 times per year, or 1/10th of the average in the test, then my transmission opportunity decreases to 1/10th of that of the study? 1/10th of 2% is 0.2% likelihood of transmission?

How much you have sex does not affect the numbers ... as explained here:

Per act risk: Dr Leone http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/5255/from-dr-peter-leone-herpes-transmission-risk-per-sex-act-explained

Is there a cream that can be used before sex to "kill" active shedding on the surfact and/or help prevent transmission? I've heard zinc has shown signs of doing this...is there a recomended over the counter zinc cream?

I don't use anything but washing with soap and water would kill anything on the surface... never tried Zinc ... hows about using condoms :)

Do you typically shed from the exact location of previous outbreaks? My outbreaks before Valtrex (none since I've started Valtrex) were all located above my saft and to the right...in my pubic hair. Can and does shedding occur all over, including my shaft, or does it typcially stay located in that one particular area.

Are there any studies that show the likelyhood of transmital based on location of outbreak?

No - you can shed any place inside the boxer shorts region. And no there are no studies about location vs transmission... :)

(((HUGS)))

http://herpeslife.com/what-is-herpes-asymptomatic-viral-shedding/

This is why it's such a frustrating little bugger to have! Wcsdancer2010 has already answered your questions, but this is why there is still that 4% risk with condoms and meds - we just can't know when we're shedding. Maybe I'm shedding at 7pm for an hour and have sex the next morning - crisis averted, without ever knowing. The only thing we can do is know our symptoms, take our meds, and leave the rest up to fate.

The only numbers we need to know are the general risk reductions with condoms and meds, that we *might* shed more in the first year and know that any symptoms or outbreak tosses all those numbers out the window. Any more numbers and we would go insane. I've read studies that some people shed anywhere from 5%-45% in the first year (without suppression). Well what the heck do I do with that? I wasn't part of the study so I have no idea where I fall. Though I would say, the more prodromes, itching, tingling, etc you have, assume the higher the shedding. And in your case, no outbreaks with the meds would likely put you on the lower end!

It's something I've been considering, now that I have a partner that I really truly care for. I am open and honest when I feel anything down there, and when I don't I giddily grab the condoms! But there may come a time when, despite my best efforts, something happens. And when it does, it won't be my fault.

We do what we can to protect the trust we are given, and our partners know the risk and see far past it (further than we can).

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic but it’s a new one for those of us newly affected. I have read every study I could find (the actual studies) and also read Dr. Leone’s comment that is referenced here.  From what I read, he is saying that there is merely no data available on a per encounter transmission risk. He wasn’t saying that your risk (of 10% or 5% or less per year depending on condoms and suppression) is the same whether you have 1 encounter or 100 over a defined time period.  He was just saying there isn’t hard data on that. Intuitively though it would make sense that the more sex the more risk and the less sex the less risk.  If you did a study of 100 couples having sex 3x week for a year and 100 couples having sex 1x month for a year I would hypothesize that the later would have a lower percentage of transmission.  But it’s never been tested so it’s just a guess. I wish I had paid more attention in my college statistics class!

It's been my experience (had this for decades) and Terri Warren (a herpes expert) also explains that herpes doesn't shed through thick skin areas such as thighs, abdomen and buttocks (provided you are not broken out there)....the skin is just too thick for the virus to come through.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On ‎2015‎/‎10‎/‎05 at 1:46 PM, NothingGoodGetsAway said:

This is why it's such a frustrating little bugger to have! Wcsdancer2010 has already answered your questions, but this is why there is still that 4% risk with condoms and meds - we just can't know when we're shedding. Maybe I'm shedding at 7pm for an hour and have sex the next morning - crisis averted, without ever knowing. The only thing we can do is know our symptoms, take our meds, and leave the rest up to fate.

The only numbers we need to know are the general risk reductions with condoms and meds, that we *might* shed more in the first year and know that any symptoms or outbreak tosses all those numbers out the window. Any more numbers and we would go insane. I've read studies that some people shed anywhere from 5%-45% in the first year (without suppression). Well what the heck do I do with that? I wasn't part of the study so I have no idea where I fall. Though I would say, the more prodromes, itching, tingling, etc you have, assume the higher the shedding. And in your case, no outbreaks with the meds would likely put you on the lower end!

It's something I've been considering, now that I have a partner that I really truly care for. I am open and honest when I feel anything down there, and when I don't I giddily grab the condoms! But there may come a time when, despite my best efforts, something happens. And when it does, it won't be my fault. 

We do what we can to protect the trust we are given, and our partners know the risk and see far past it (further than we can).

45% ?!?!?!?!?!

On 8/4/2018 at 4:50 PM, Sumshine said:

It's been my experience (had this for decades) and Terri Warren (a herpes expert) also explains that herpes doesn't shed through thick skin areas such as thighs, abdomen and buttocks (provided you are not broken out there)....the skin is just too thick for the virus to come through.

I have also been told even tho my outbreaks have spread from the primal site from time to time, if there’s no open sore in those areas you aren’t shedding from those areas. It’s usually transmitted thru thin skin/mucous membranes 

The stats my funk and many others have given me are 4% transmission rate from female to make when no condom or antiviral use, 1-2% with just antiviral and no condoms, 2% just condoms, and around 1% while using both. This is usually female to male, while male to female is a percent or so higher each from what I recall bc it’s easier for women to contract, my advice. Take those stats as they are mostly accurate and can ease your mind to an extent but also explain them to a partner and make sure to do what they feel most comfortable w, and same with you