• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

...but I love Arginine! Celery and water for the rest of my life?

As I sit here eating my dangerous oatmeal with bananas, I wonder if it will be the cause of an outbreak. lol I've been feeling overwhelmed with all the articles i've been reading about "WORST FOODS TO EAT IF YOU HAVE HERPES". :( I don't eat bad at all, but do I have to eliminate everything that is high in arginine? I don't think I will be able to give up chocolate lol. Also, I have been battling with recurring yeast infection so i've been extra careful about what I am eating.

Moderation is key right?

If I have to give up my nuts I'll go nuts LOL. I could seriously live off of certain kinds of nuts. I think it will probably depend on the individual as I typically have a decent handful of various nuts every day and it hasn't caused any breakouts with me that I know of and that's while not on any antivirals. I do have a pretty healthy immune system though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

@desertlove

Yet again, please be careful about what you read and what you believe....

Sure, high Argenine diets *may* cause OB's.... but the big word is MAY. Soooo many other things come into the mix. For one thing, if you BALANCE it with plenty of L-Lysine (food or supplements) then it will cancel out.

Also, hormones, stress, tight clothing, alcohol, immune function, etc plays into OB's. I went through a 2 yr spell where I couldn't eat trail mix with chocolate and nuts ... especially if I was traveling (which is when I usually had it with me) .. I was in early menopause so it seems that the extra stress of the hormonal shift was too much and that mix would put me over the edge.

You should keep a food/lifestyle journal to find out YOUR triggers. Then if you find that the high Argenine foods set you off, try balancing them with high L-Lysine foods. If you still get OB's with that, cut them out for awhile or look for other stressors that may be contributing. Sometimes just cutting back on several things will be enough to stop the accumulative impact that they have.

AND, sometimes if you know a certain thing may set you off, you can proactively do something to counterbalance it ... if I know I'll be traveling and I have been having trouble with OB's, I take a few anti-virals before I leave and that usually stops or curbs the OB.

Having H can help you to become more body aware .... and that is actually a GOOD thing in the long run. Stop focusing on the one or two negatives and use this as an Opportunity to create a better, healthier, emotionally stronger YOU! :)

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-triggers/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1821/food-drinks-that-causeprolong-herpes-outbreaks/

http://www.sandiegohomeopathy.com/downloads/Lysine_Arginine_Foods.pdf Lysine Arginine ratio of foods

The lysine arginine thing has no scientific backing. That said everyone has different triggers.

Given that "Science" just discovered that the brain actually has a physical connection to the lymphatic system (like DUH! How the hell has the brain dealt with recovering from inflammation/infection up till now if it doesn't have the lymphatic system to help it??????? SMH) I only take what they say they "know" about the body with a huge pinch of salt. I'm a Massage Therapist ... a lot of what I do is not truly "testable" as far as knowing exactly "why" it works... I can't always tell you why I know what I need to do. And I have had several times I've urged someone to get a medical opinion on something unrelated to what I do because something "told" me this was the reason for their issues ... even though I really didn't know WHY I felt they needed that test. Scientists would say I got lucky. Well, whatever. It worked. I don't always need to know why or how :)

What "Science" forgets is each of us is a chemical mass with an energetic system that had billions of actions/reactions and synergistic combinations occurring every second of every day. There is NO WAY (IMO... at least not in our lifetime) that they will be able to figure out "Everything" there is to know about the body...especially as we introduce more and more man-made chemicals into the mix.

So when they say that there is no "scientific proof" of the lysine/arginine, I say.... YET. Because unless they put people on a strict diet that has exactly "X' amount of Lysine and "X" amount of arginine (meaning, no foods with either , because you can't tell exactly how much is in that food because different growing conditions would result in differing levels of each chemical) and then introducing those 2 chemicals via supplements .... and even then, each person's body would have to be tested to determine exactly how well they process them as well (ie, liver function *might* result in them being processed and excreted faster or slower). Then they would have to introduce it when folks were having an outbreak. I highly doubt that they have done 1/10th of that ....

My *theory* is that some people either retain or excrete one or the other of the chemicals better/worse than "average" .... so if someone retains arginine "too well", they may react very well to arginine supplementation.... and perhaps that is why 80% of people don't have symptoms... perhaps their bodies retain/process L-Lysine better than the 20% who have symptoms. Or it could be genetics. Or chemical/metal/etc build-up in the body. Who knows?

All I know is that *some* people SEEM to respond VERY WELL to L-Lysine supplementation. It's a harmless, inexpensive supplement that you can at least try and see if it works for you. I for one don't care if it's the Lysine or if it's the Placebo Effect at work to be honest... if it stops the outbreaks, then that's a good thing.... :)

One "good" thing about H is that it can help people to become more in touch with their bodies than they ever would otherwise. Herpes is a great "first responder" when the body is out of balance.... so with time, and attention, we can learn what "triggers" an outbreak .... and given that once the body has figured out how to control Herpes, they can be a great indicator that whatever you are doing/eating/etc. is perhaps not in your best overall health interest :)

But as Brene Brown said recently, "The body keeps score, and it always wins".

Thank you @WCSDancer2010 yes, I have definitely become more aware with my body and trying to treat it better. The emotional part, i'm still struggling with..but I know in time I will get there:). H has just magnified my fears, its facing me to look at them. Time to work on myself! :) This will only make me better.

H has just magnified my fears, its facing me to look at them. Time to work on myself! :) This will only make me better.

That is often the biggest side effect... but if you are willing to take that on and do the work, you WILL come out stronger than you could ever realize.

I just drove home (1 1/2 hrs) at midnight after going to see the guy I've been dating ... he finally admitted he's not looking for a relationship (which I made clear I am) ... but only after I asked him for clarity. In the past I would have hoped that things would form with time. Now I won't waste time on someone that doesn't RESPECT and HONOR me. Not that my body didn't want to jump his bones (it's in full on revolt today!) but my heart is too precious to me now to allow someone to use my body for their needs if mine aren't being met too :)

@WCSDancer2010 I really admire that you stood up for yourself and walked away from the situation. Your story really speaks to me. I am in a similar situation, but I am struggling to walk away. I am constantly battling it out in my head. I think you are definitely close to finding a man that will cherish you and love you! :) Thank you for sharing your experience.