• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Hello. My name is... and I have HSV2.

Hi, I'm new. I was diagnosed on November 20. I get tested regularly especially when dealing with a yeast and or bacterial infection and have always made it a point to ask for the blood test which detects herpes and the specific type. I was already stressed because my diabetes is out of whack and I was also experiencing boils as usual. Yeah, gross right. I was negative for everything in August. Met a guy that I really liked, hooked up a few times but then he somewhat disappeared. I thought he was out of the picture so hooked up with another guy against my better judgment based on some previous actions. At any rate, me and the earlier guy reconnected even though we were strained due to my hooking up with the one night stand (we weren't exclusive). Anyway, soon after all of this, horrible infection which lead to doctor visit, std panel including hsv test and here I am. Asymptomatic, afraid, alone, stressed, and worried that I'll never find love, never have sex, and somehow experience pain worst than any boil or yeast infection combined and it just bothers me that I can't get rid of it and I could physically cause harm to another. I realized that I had fallen in love with the first guy mentioned but we're now just friends. He's been kind even though saddened by it all. I'm more worried that he's going to not get tested because he doesn't"feel" anything. So I get depressed about that too. Then I'm angry at the last because he's ignoring me now since I notified him of my test results. Based on the timing and amount of antibodies (5.3, positive greater than 1.09) present, doc says I would've been infected in the last 2-4 weeks. So yeah, more than likely it's him and I have this vitriol reaction to my memories with him that I'm ashamed that I even agreed to have sex with him. Red flag eraser am I. So now, I'm alone in a new city.....i was hoping that I'd be able to settle and really cultivate relationships and love interests but now I just want to cry everyday. I know of 3 people who have lived with it for some time; only close to one but I have this feeling that she's spilling the beans before I can even deal with just being open to others outside of a romantic relationship. I just hope a cure comes during my lifetime. The thought of my labia erupting in sores is mind numbing....literally mind numbing. I just always thought I was so careful. I'm abstaining because I want to be in full clear for HIV. If that guy was shady about his identity and other things...what else was he hiding....

No, you've been infected for 5 months or more. It takes 3 at minimum to come up to detectable level's, which is .90... .90 takes 3 months to get to usually at least to veen four for some. You've had it at least 3/4 months since the time you tested positive. Why do you assume those books aren't caused by H? Have you ever had them swabbed?

I don't assume anything. I was til that they were not the same thing. The blisters from hsv are like water blisters...no pus, no whitehead. They were present during my last doctor visit and were not considered such upon viewing them. No swipe. Also, I've had boils since I was diagnosed as a pre diabetic in college. They never appear on mucus membranes. Basically folliculitis. That's crazy to have negative test results up to this point.

On, well unless the u get them swabbed, the u can't be sure they're H. So you're positive, you've had blood tests done prior to this w negative results? Also, H presents differently in everyone, not as just as you described. I've had some that look like zits . I've even been able to squeeze stuff out if one before. I get either red bumps or a pustule, I don't get those clear fluid blisters. Do you don't get boils in your pubic area at all? H can go anywhere in the nicer region. All my obs now are on my buttock and groin crease.

Hmmm.......my doctor described them that way. Hmmmmm....Now, I don't know. I started valtrex the day after diagnosis, last Saturday because every itch, twinge, ache freaked me out. My boils have always presented in my groin area. I had a biopsy done when they first appeared years ago and it didn't come back as H but staph which causes folliculitus, etc. I usually will have one and then maybe a second right after but lately given my blood glucose numbers I've had a few appear. All of this usually presents during my period (along with any current infection) so it can be pretty miserable. They also grow and become very heavy which is why applying heat helps them to burst, etc.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure they're not the same thing. And yes, my Las hsv test was August 5 and i tested negative. I think my last one was May and negative then too. Last year negative as well. My November 12 test is my first positive result and my doctor was shocked at the number of antibodies. I intend to continue testing to monitor the result and make sure that I didn't also contract HIV since they say HSV makes you more susceptible. Plus, since diabetes is also viewed as an autoimmune disease, I'm just super concerned. I keep spreadsheets on all of my stats(vitals, a1c, cholesterol, etc.) now I'll just add columns for hsv and Hiv tests. I don't think there's enough subsequent data out there so I volunteer.

Well do you know for a fact they tested it for H? A biopsy and a swab are two different things. If they don't test for it, they will only test what they're looking for.

Huh.. That's very strange.. So Aug you were negative.. We're you w anyone right after August? I'd validate w your medical records to ensure they did test for both HSV.

Yep the last two guys were after the August test. We reviewed the August test at my appointment when discussing my diagnosis and it was negative for everything. So yeah, I'm really hoping for a false positive but at any rate, I'm acting and notifying as if I am. How far back do people go with notification by the way? I have two friends that if I'm in town or if they're in town we would hook up but that was eons ago. Well one was in April. No more of that. Sigh.

I haven't had an outbreak. I usually suffer from yeast and bacterial infections after sex and due to my diabetes. So whenever I visit the doctor for a prescription, I ask to be tested for everything as I'm pretty sexually active. That has been my whole point in this thread. I am asymptomatic with a high HSV 2 IgG antibody count of 5.30. I started valtrex the next day because I Don't want to suffer an outbreak. I also wonder if it's a false positive.

I don't know if it was an Elissa. The paperwork didn't indicate. Will look again next week when I go home. I'm hoping I didn't pass it to the guy that I really like, I just hope he gets tested or maybe I got it from him. Don't know. I just want to move on and not attempt to rediagnose myself. Lol. Sigh.....

Here's my take on this, having read the thread. I assume you are going to a GP? If so, PLEASE get thee to an OBGYN because your GP/Family Dr is not likely to really know what's going on. I also wonder if your test was IgM and not IgG ... because that might explain the high numbers.

Certainly anything over 3.5 on an IgG is considered a true positive even without symptoms. If that's an IgM, I'd get retested. In fact, I'd get retested anyway. Also, have you SEEN your past results for yourself so that you know you were actually tested for HSV?

With an IgG result of 5+ I'd assume you were past the 4 month marker in which case I wonder if you really were tested for H in the past, because most people are not tested unless there's a reason for the Dr to include it. And they don't bother to tell you that :(

Either way, I would get a second opinion either from a Gyn or Planned parenthood, where the Dr's see this stuff every day and are up on the latest info.

Your last option is to call and do a phone consult with Westover Heights clinic... they are the top Herpes clinic in the nation.

http://westoverheights.com/ (503) 226-6678 ... they can order the test for you through Quest Labs. It costs $5/minute for a consult … cheap IMO for clarity and/or peace of mind.

Ob/gyn and he referred me to the westoverheights site too. I read over her handbook but didn't realize the test option. I've moved twice, 2 different states, in the last 12 months and have seen two different ob/gyns in this Atlanta office alone. I've requested my records be moved each time so I should be able to request copies of everything that I need from here. The one who diagnosed me I have to say was pretty gracious in that he told me that not a lot of physicians will say tho but you're not dirty, this is not your fault, and it's in the population. So I think he at least understands the perception, and he also said that it could very well be a false positive.

I always ask specifically to be tested for herpes via blood test as I've known for some time that it's not included. I just wonder if now I've driven myself crazy for being responsible. Sigh.

Well its HIGHLY unlikely to be a false positive given it's over 3.5 ... but I'd do the Western Blot test with Westover Heights then ....

I doubt they would look at photos ... I'd just do the test.

And it's better you are being responsible.... believe me, it's worse if you find out when someone sends you a text to say they are having a primary OB..... at least if you DO have it, then you can discuss options with partners .... and many will already have it... others will be ok with Condoms or if you are on Acyclovir.... and *if* they DO get it from you, there's no feeling of betrayal or whatever ... it's just a risk they took, which makes it FAR less stressful for most.... but the vast majority of people get it from someone who didn't know they had it, and thus were not paying attention to their body and usually not using condoms or practicing safer sex... :(

I'd get copies of all past results ... see where the hole is in your testing, if any.

Whatever happens, try to look at each call as an opportunity to educate that we are not normally tested for it and 80% of carriers don't know they have it. If nothing else you may help others to get an accurate test and actually KNOW their status. Knowledge is power, and with proper education we should be able to slow the spread.... and "slay the stigma" :)