• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I'm new so I thought I'd share. back around October I had this pain and made a same day appt with my doctor. she gave me a pelvic exam and said it did not look like herpes which made me happy because my whole sexually active life that had been my biggest fear. she said it looked like irritation and a few cuts. then she left the room and came back with a book and said she thinks it might be h. I had tunnel vision....I was scared, hurt, I literally wanted to die. I asked for a test and she agreed. my culture came back as negative for herpes and positive for staph and ecoli. she put me on antibiotics and it went away within maybe two days. I told my then bf about it and he was very supportive. One night while we were waiting for my results we decided to have sex. I told him we needed to use a condom because I don't want to give it to him in case he doesn't have it. mid sex he took the condom off saying he didn't care cuz he loved me that much....I think he was the one who gave it to me. then in December it came back. so I went to my gyno this time she said it didn't look like herpes but that she would test Me for it just in case. this test came back negative as well but positive for strep. antibiotics cured it up. then it came back at the end of February so I called my gyno that delivered my son... she was booked all day but a nurse practitioner could fit Me in. she looked at it and said I'm 100% positive this is not herpes. I was so relieved. she did a culture and a blood test. the next day I got my results. One came back saying just hsv and the other came back abnormal. she said there are like 116 different strands and that's why It didn't say 1 or 2 and that the other one came back abnormal. I talked to my gunk that delivered my son the next day and she said she definitely believes it is hsv2. I'm confused though because the nurse practitioner said she wanted to test me again in 3 months because she really doesn't think it's that. I think the np having said all that is what got my hopes up. so there's my story. sorry is my grammar is horrible... I'm doing this all from my phone.

Welcome to the site! Glad you're here and reaching out.

Wow, sounds confusing getting all those different opinions! Back and forth, back and forth ... The medical community tends to be pretty confusing about this stuff. Ultimately it's not a big deal to most doctors because it's not life-threatening. They don't realize the impact the stigma is having on a positive herpes diagnosis.

Also, it sounds like you're getting HSV and HPV confused. HPV is also known as genital warts. It's the one with over 100 strands, some cancer-causing, some wart-causing. HSV has 2 different kinds (HSV-1 and HSV-2):

http://herpeslife.com/hsv-1-hsv-2-types-of-herpes/

Also, if the doctor looked at it and said it looks like herpes, it probably is. And blood tests (the IgG test is the best to detect herpes) can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to actually develop enough antibodies to give a positive test result.

http://herpeslife.com/the-herpes-test/

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

that's where I'm confused because the first doctor said it didn't look like it and then she came back from her office with a book saying she thinks it might be. and she cultured it and gave me a blood test. and then the third doctor was the one who said there is 116 strands of hsv.... not hpv but apparently she got them confused. but Ya she's the one who said it didn't look like it. all of them have said it doesn't look like it. on my final test she was poking and prodding and no pain. so then she cut one open and clearly that hurt. but even after she popped it... they didn't spread. idk. I'm so confused.

Hi Bonafiderarity,

Wow. This really does sound confusing.

It definitely sounds like the 3rd doc got HSV and HPV confused. There is only HSV1 and HSV2. I'm really confused about your blood tests. It came back just as HSV? Not 1 or 2? And one person is telling you that it definitely doesn't look like herpes, but another person is telling you that it does? My mind is boggled!

As Adrial mentioned, the IgG test is a the best way to detect if you have herpes. If you've had these symptoms since October, then your body would have antibodies by now. I got my blood test done at Planned Parenthood and they called me within acouple days with my results. HSV2.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with so much confusion, but I would go ahead and request that this specific blood test be done. It's just not right that you're getting so many different answers. There's something fishy about it, and I'm wondering if they're not doing the appropriate blood test?

Please keep us posted and good luck!,

-Katie