• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Spreading

So...I stopped taking Valtrex and got an outbreak in my mouth. It seems to be spreading there. Is it more like that I will pass the virus on through oral from the spots where I have outbreaks? I'm wondering if its more likely to spread from those spots even if there are no outbreaks?

If you go off Valtrex cold turkey then your body needs time to take over the full responsibility for controlling the virus...so for right now you want to be extra cautious... but over time it should settle down.

So you have Hsv1 oral and HSV2 genital? These are the rates that the different strains shed in the different areas:

Here are the %s of the time herpes silently sheds the virus based on the HSV type and location (not to be confused with transmission rates).

HSV-2 genital 15-30%

HSV-1 genital 3-5%

HSV-1 oral 9-18%

HSV-2 oral 1%

So the risk of spreading it orally is a bit lower than spreading it genitally when you are not having an OB. The main thing is to just be vigilant and find other ways to play if you have any feeling that you may be having an OB coming on.

No antivirals ... and just because you are shedding doesn't mean you will transmit - a lot depends on the other person's immune system, where you are shedding (ie, whether the person comes in contact with that area), and how much viral load you happen to be shedding. If the person doesn't get "enough" of a dose then their body can usually kill it off before it establishes.