• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Asymptomatic shedding

Thank you @MIssouri. I've had this virus for six years now. My outbreaks are few and far between. I also have hsv1 since I was a kid(double whammy)lol. Honestly, the physical part of the virus isn't a problem for me, it's the mental aspects of it all. People think just because you have herpes that we are dirty, and filthy. This virus has nothing to do with that. This virus is from skin to skin contact and anybody can get it. I'm so tired of the jokes people tell about herpes like they can't get it.

You're welcome. I've had this for a long time myself. 17 long years. I don't even know if I still have outbreaks (If I do I don't notice them). The physical part of the virus doesn't bother me either. And yes, it's mentally draining at times to deal with the stigma. What is brought up on often though, is we contribute to that stigma with our shame, and our "victim" mindset.

Anyway, call me nerdy, but i find H and all other viruses and bacterial infections fascinating. Really, they are tiny organisms that are trying to survive on their hosts. Bacteria are becoming smarter and adjusting to the meds we have. (Super strain of gonorrhea). But viruses - they win hands down. We have a joke in our lab that viruses are little aliens. They see an opportunity, they invade, some use our cells in order to survive. Then they hide, sometimes for years. How cool is that!?

I'll stop before I really hijack your post!

Sorry! Side effect of my profession lol.

People who know you or get to know you will realize H doesn't discriminate. I see you are from Tennessee.....me too. I've had huge success with medical professionals here who feel H is just an inconvenience. I've had this over 30 yrs and had two successful disclosures.....one of whom I am now married to for 20 yrs and is H-. Remember, there are good people everywhere and one will make their way to you and as @Hippyherpy always says.....its all in how you disclose as to how people accept it. I think he's right. Don't make it out to be a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...