• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Practical advice for HSV1

Hey all!

So I'm looking for some practical daily advice here. My husband has HSV-1 breakouts on his lips, mine tend to be inside my mouth. He's great about keeping clean, not kissing when broken out, not sharing things etc, but I get a little paranoid during a breakout not wanting to get one myself. Any tips on around the house cleanliness to prevent dual breakouts?

Also, how does everyone handle being broken out? For example, father's day is tomorrow and we want to visit my family. I'm working on not feeling weird about it but it's typically been a cause for cancellation (like, a very gnarly breakout). Do I need to change my attitude or do most people chill at home until the breakout passes? Plus with things like work you basically can't hide away all the time anyways.

I'm hoping to learn to let go of some of the shame/stagma of being broken out but just curious how others handle it. Thanks in advance :)

There's no extra housecleaning you need to do. I wouldn't share drinks or anything during a breakout but that's about it. You already said he's good about that, so I'd relax.

Most of the population has oral herpes. I see people with cold sores all the time. There's no reason to hide out at home. You can get some tips to speed up the healing if you search the forum. I find it kind of sad for him that you are ashamed of his status, because it's more visible? Maybe I misread that. Anyway. I think you are projecting your thoughts/feeling about it onto other people. I think the majority would just take a note he gets cold sores. Educated people will know how prevalent it is. And honestly- who cares what other people think? It matters what you think. And I think you need some reassurance and acceptance. It all starts at home.