• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

New to this!

Hi all! How's everyone? Ok so long story short I found out I have HSV type 1 about 2 weeks ago and I was devastated and anxious everyday and even felt so depressed but I had to snap myself out of that dark hole ASAP! I quickly started to educate myself as much as I could and turned all my negative thoughts into positive. Just like Adrial the administrator said this is not a life threatening virus nor will it affect your health. I had to remember that there are people out there who are actually fighting life threatening battles and I'm here complaining about a rash. So I quickly put a stop to my negative thinking. I still struggle at times but I'm sure with time I will become more adjusted to this virus. Let's all be a support system for each other! So with that said there are a few questions I have. And oh I forgot to mention that I do believe I have HSV type 1 genital. Because that's where I had an outbreak. My doctor just confirmed I was positive for type 1 and negative for type 2. In addition to this I never get cold sores on my mouth.

Questions

1) if I have a boyfriend who has HSV type 1 oral and I have HSV type 1 genital...if we have unprotected sex can he catch it genitally? And also vice versa can I catch it orally?

2) If I have HSV1 genital can I transmit it to my children by kissing them on the cheek?

3) ladies! If you have HSV1 genital, please let me know your experiences. As far as symptoms, outbreaks per year...outbreaks with periods...I know our bodies are all different but I just want to get your input on this.

4) do you only take meds with outbreaks or do you prefer to take the meds everyday?

Aah I had so many questions and now I can't remember them all haha.

Thanks in advance.

Love your attitude about H. You're going to be just fine!

I'll try answering your questions.

From what I understand, genital to genital transmission of HSV1 is rare. I don't think they even have any statistics on that. I even read somewhere there is no reported cases of it being transmitted that way. It prefers the mouth, but since he has it orally, you don't have to worry about that (oral sex). As for you getting it from him orally, you may be at risk until your immune system gets a handle on it. I'm not sure of the statistics on this- maybe someone else will answer that for me.

You will not give this to your kids. You have a genital infection not an oral infection so they are completely safe. The only time it's a concern is while delivering a baby. Since you know your status, even this is a very minimal risk.

I can't say that I have HSV1 because I've never been typed. I'll let someone that is answer the rest of the questions.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you MMissouri!!! You have to try and have a positive attitude towards this because you can't let the anxiety and depression take control. I have kids who rely on me and they need me so I had to put a stop to the dark hole I was sinkin in to. We can't allow a virus that is not a big deal to steal our joy in life.

I greatly appreciate your input.

I'm glad to know since this is genital HSV1 I can't transmit it to my children. My children were my main concern.

I'm assuming if I could have gotten it orally as well it would have showed up by now right? I've been with my boyfriend for a while and I never have outbreaks.

And what do you mean you haven't been typed?

I appreciate all your info!

Exactly! And you're welcome.

As for why you don't have it orally. Very good question. I wonder about that myself. Since the virus prefers the mouth, why does it suddenly start avoiding the mouth and switch to the genitals? Most people have kissed way more than they have had sex. We've discussed the possibility that shaving/waxing/friction from sex causes the area to be more vulnerable and allows the virus easy access.

When I was diagnosed it was through a swab and they just said you're positive for herpes. In my situation I was almost a year into a relationship with someone that had HSV1 orally (not sure of his HSV2 status) and I had a genital outbreak. Could I have had it before we got together and never knew? Sure. It was just never an issue for us because why let it be at that point? He already had a strain of the virus and we knew the possibility of it being from him was a good one. We got married, had three girls, and stayed together for 19 years (total) and I never did get an oral outbreak. He never had a genital one. And we never used protection/antivirals except during my initial outbreak and my births.

Wow! I love hearing positive stories. That is what we need more of. So many negative things out there about this virus and this is why people get freaked out. I know when I found out I saw a bunch of scary things and read scary things online and that's what triggered my anxiety and stress and then depression was setting in.

In reality it's just a skin condition. I read an article from a doctor the other day about herpes and he stated that he considers herpes the joke of std's because he doesn't consider herpes even being an std because it doesn't harm you. He says it's simply a skin condition that can be annoying.

How long ago did you find out about having HSV?

Do you have outbreaks often? What do you find that triggers your outbreaks?

Do you prefer to take meds? Or what other remedies do you use?

I took the Valtrex for ten days twice a day and I pray I never have another outbreak. But only time will tell. I hate taking pills so I rather just take valtrex when I really need it.

My outbreak didn't start as an outbreak. Mine started with a small vaginal cut shaving and then I started swelling and getting red then I had sores with clear fluid. This was on the side of my vagina. When I went to the doctor to have him check it out he immediately said nope this isn't herpes and said it was a staph infection and he looked inside too and said it all looked healthy. He explained with herpes you can get sores inside the vaginal opening and burning when urinating, itching.

I explained I didn't have any of those symptoms. doctor then gave me antibiotics and an ointment and took a swab from a sore. All the antibiotics he gave and ointment I had to apply took this "infection" away. I went back a week later for a follow up and he examined the area and said it looked great then after he confirmed my swab came back positive for HSV1 and negative for HSV2. I was in shock! Then at that point he still started me on valtrex.

So that's my story. I still have some learning to do and I'm thankful to meet others who can help out with any questions.

Im guessing about 17 almost 18 years ago is when I was diagnosed. I don't have outbreaks anymore, unless they are so minor that I don't notice them. After my initial outbreak, I never had one that was unbearable. I would get irritated (a bump maybe if that was even there), and itching towards the end of my periods. I don't know if this was the cycle itself or the fact that I wear pads. I haven't taken any type of meds except during that first outbreak and the last few weeks of my pregnancies. And I never treated it from the outside either, just went commando if I felt like I was getting irritated.

When I joined the forum and saw that people stopped eating chocolate and other foods, took l-lysine, etc. I stared doing it too. No reason, just seemed to be the thing to do. lol. But then I thought why am I doing this?? And I'm happily eating chocolate and pill free again :)

I do think if you are able to bear the symptoms, that letting your immune system do the work is better in the long run. This isn't always possible for some people. But if it is, it's something to consider. That way valtrex and the like are more impacting if you do need them at a later date. That's just my opinion and not based on any facts, just on how medicines seem to work.

But remember, I've only been in a relationship post diagnosis with someone that already had HSV1. If I was in a discordant relationship, I'm thinking that things would change, depending on what they were comfortable with.

Learning is a great way to deal with this. The more facts you know, the easier it is.

I couldn't agree more! The more facts we know the easier it is!

Im just trying get info. To better educate myself. And it does help to know other people's experiences.

I need to get familiar with the signs to look for in case there is another outbreak coming up.

I want to have one last baby one day and I think it's helpful you sharing your story with me. From what I understand is that you can pass this to your unborn child at the time of birth if the baby is being born vaginally? Is that right?

My children were delivered by C-section. As days go by questions come up for me so I'm extremely thankful to have found this website.

Sharing experiences helps! It lets you know you aren't alone.

Yes, you can pass it to a child during vaginal labor but only if you are currently having an outbreak. If you do get pregnant, they usually put you on antivirals the last few weeks of your pregnancy to prevent this from happening. In addition, they will give you an vaginal exam with a special light to see if there are any signs of an outbreak the day you give birth. (Unless this has changed, I haven't had a baby in years, but I'm assuming it hasn't). Something to keep in mind is most people don't even know they have this virus, so think about all them babies born without knowing. And they are fine. So, really, I would not worry about H and childbirth. You know your status, and can prevent any possible complications.

If your children were c sections then you really don't have anything to worry about! Mine were all c sections (not herpes related, they just really did not want to come out lol). Something I do want to mention though, since the virus is new, you might want to wait until your immune system gets a handle on the virus. I'm not saying this just for the baby, but for your outbreaks as well. Any fluctuation or stress on our system can irritate things. I couldn't imagine being pregnant and battling vagina issues on a regular basis. Sounds miserable lol.

Ask away! That's what we are here for :)

Thanks for the info MMissouri!

If I do plan to have another kid it won't be until years later. Haha I can barely handle my two kiddos right now. They are little balls full of energy!

Yes as questions come up I will ask you! Thank you for answering what I've asked so far.

Yes I heard my immune system can take a bit to get a handle on the virus. I believe I read on this site that it can take up to 6 months.