• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

One and Done? AntiVirals from the Start

I was diagnosed in April and had a bad first outbreak (as far as range of symptoms but not visible severity).

I immediately started acyclovir during that first outbreak and now maintain a dose of 2x a day. I am supposed to increase to 3x daily for 5 days if I think I'm having an outbreak or about to have one.

I have done the increased dose once bc I had the prodome or whatever (tingles). But nothing else happened.

Right now I'm studying for the bar. HIGHHHH stress, so just waiting for an outbreak to come on. My biggest fear is that it'll happen during the two exam days. I know worrying is only gonna increase the chances and I have been doing a good job of forgetting about my heroes completely.

I know everyone is different by my doctor said I may never have another outbreak again. Hard for me to believe because I feel like I'm so prone to sickness and injury.

Does anyone who is taking antivirals have insight to share? what are the chances I will get one this soon or how often would one expect outbreaks? Is it possible to have "mini" outbreaks lasting less than a day!?

I believe in both western and eastern medicine but as of now I am NOT interested in stopping the pills. I take medication for other things and do not find being on medication forever if it is something that helps me.

I was diagnosed in September. Same as you, wide array of symptoms but only 1 sore that I saw. I have NOT been taking medication since then because I wanted to see how my body would handle it. I have not gotten another OB since the first one. I do still experience tiny tingles throughout the day which right now I'm trying to figure out whether or not to consider those prodromes. A couple of weeks ago I got sick and was experiencing higher than normal stress levels and I felt those tiny tingles start to turn into more. So I did take the medication I keep on hand just in case. After 3 days it was back to normal, no actual OB. I do eat healthy and take my vitamins and go to the gym, all of which I was doing before hand anyway.

They say it's very common to get more frequent OBs during the first year while your body adjusts. But they also say they're nowhere near as bad as the first one.

I'll cross my fingers for you that your situation will be similar to mine!

No one is really going to be able to give you answer for those questions. It varies person to person. The only one that is going to be able to answer those questions will be you, after you get familiar with how it affects your body. If it makes you feel better, I used to be the person that caught everything that was in the air, and thankfully, for some reason, H is not bad for me. So we can hope that you follow the same path, but again we'd just be tossing around maybes.

As for the bar, good luck!! If it were to appear during that time I would think that you are focused enough on passing that it will be an inconvenience, but have no impact on how you do. All this work and time invested towards passing that bar- I would let H be the least of my concerns right now. You've got this! Best of luck!

Thanks so much @jjj2015 and @mmissouri. It's good to hear it's not a huge issue for either of you ! I'm just going to keep enjoying my symptom free time and try not to worry. Even if I knew an outbreak is likely to occur, really nothing I can do to stop it anyway. :)