• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 and Valtrex

I was told by a woman I had sex with last night that she has had HSV2 for around a year. She has had two small reoccurrences in that time. The last was 5 weeks ago. She has been on and off Valtrex but has been on it now for 5 weeks straight. Before having sex with a condom I performed oral and also engaged in genital to genital rubbing where my penis touched areas that had been initially affected. I do not have HSV2. What is my risk that I may become infected from this skin to skin contact with no visible symptoms–I am aware of viral shedding–How much does Valtrex lower my risk? Is 5 weeks of usage long enough to be effective? I have seen numbers from 5-10%

Yes, 5 weeks is long enought to be effective. I think it's effective after 10 days which is normal dose to help you over an outbreak. I can only speak for oral sex.....it's extremely rare to get H from performing oral sex on someone with hv2. The population of people who have gotten it that way is maybe 1%. It prefers the genital area. I have never passed hv2 on to my hubby and we've been married 20 yrs. We have lots of oral. As to genital to genital......it can be aquired this way. Just depends on how much grinding, if there was an outbreak present, if the person is on anti viral....etc. there is always a chance. Very low without visible ob, condom use and anti viral use. Less woman to man so you are likely fine.