• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How to stop valtrex successfully without ob?

I want to completely stop valtrex. Can I cut them in half and just do half a few days and then taper to every other day? Anyone tried this approach? I read a Dr's response about how quickly it leaves your system: He said valtrex has an average half life of 2.5 to 3.3 hrs so length of time it stays in system is relatively short. Would appreciate any advice.

I personally tell people to wean off... simply because *some* people's systems are more reactive to abrupt changes....

And I don't know where your Dr got that half life... it takes 10 days to get it into the system enough to be fully effective ... so I'd say take at least that long to wean off. After all, your system has got used to the "help" from the valtrex, so it needs to be given the chance to "take over" as the valtrex leaves the system.

Thanks @WCSDancer2010 I agree with you. It wasn't my Dr...it was a "Dr" on valtrex side effects site. Thank you for responding. How should I do it so my system doesn't freak? As you know, I've had this as long as you have and went on valtrex simply just to take ob's to zero. I've had continuous prodrome symptoms since going on it. Crazy because I never had prodrome prior to valtrex. My ob's would just simply show up. I've been on valtrex about 5 months.