• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Overall statistics versus individual risk based on recency of infection

So, they say the risk of transmission from female to male is 4% (assuming avoiding sex if there are symptoms), 2% with condom, 1% with condom + suppressive therapy. But has anyone seen a study where they compared the frequency of transmission during, say, the first year after being infected versus infected for more than a year once there are high levels of antibodies built up? That would be useful to know.

I was thinking a lot of transmissions occur right after the person has been infected before they even know it, as during the first year the virus is sort of rampant in the body as the body works to create antibodies. (I was hoping to find a study that showed that people with old infections and high antibody levels are not as dangerous to those who aren't infected yet). And most people don't have symptoms. I think it's common because there are a lot of people having a lot of sex! :)

Yes, and the scary thing is, I read that is isn't that you are shedding some days and some days not, but shedding intermittently around the clock so you could be "not shedding" at the moment they happened to test you, but shedding later that same day. This is why I choose to be on Valtrex even without breakouts.