• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How to ask my partner not to watch a show I know is full of herpes jokes

Hey everyone!

My boyfriend and I are super happy together and he's very supportive of my situation. But I still struggle with my own self esteem often and am constantly working to better my positive energy and thoughts towards myself. But if I'm still struggling to accept myself, it's natural that I'll always be a little concerned that my partner may have his doubts occasionally too. What I mean is, when I disclosed to him, part of the conversation consisted of me convincing him that herpes isn't that big of a deal and it's very over-stigmatized. And when people/friends/television shows make jokes that perpetuate this stigma and reinforce how terrible it is to have H, it makes me uncomfortable. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with The Office. It's one of my favorite shows and I finally convinced him to start watching it. But since I've already seen it, I know he's approaching an episode where the entire plot revolves around making fun of herpes and portraying it as awful, dirty, and disgusting. You can see why I wouldn't want him to just sit there and watch 30 minutes of that, right?

How can I tell him that I want him to skip that episode? I want to be honest but even after dating him for a year it's still a hard topic for me.

Hello,

I've seen the episode of The Office that you mention. Personally I didn't find it offensive at all. I've had herpes nearly thirty years now. The characters in that episode ran the spectrum of knowledge about herpes and overall I don't think the episode was mean spirited at all.

Go to YouTube and search Dane Cook herpes. It's very funny and shows herpes can be talked about in a humorous way. Amy Shumer also has a herpes video that is quite good.

The struggle your going thru is common, I even went thru it myself way back when.