• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Valacyclovir doesn't seem to be preventing OBs

For those of you who didn't have great luck with valacyclovir as suppresive therapy, has there been anything else that helped? I'm taking 500 mg 1x per day. Is it common to need a higher dosage? What about Famvir? I guess I'm also going to clean up my diet, cut out alcohol and maybe caffeine, and hope for the best. I started olive leaf extract liquid 2x per day, and I take fish oil, turmeric, vit D, and a multi vitamin.

@JenPhoenix40 I've read on Terri Warren's site that about 0.3% of people are resistant to antivirals. I've also read she generally suggests starting with a dose of (in the case of Valtrex) 500mg daily and then increasing to 1000mg if outbreaks continue to occur. And she says there are more powerful drugs in cases in which the traditional antivirals fail, but it's best to first try the regular antivirals because the more powerful drugs have a higher incidence of side effects.

I've also seen dosage charts that indicate 500mg daily is generally recommend to reduce transmission to partners and 1000mg daily is suggested to suppress outbreaks in people who have several outbreaks per year.

That's good to know. I feel like I'm having an OB or tingling once a month at least! I messaged my doc about upping to 1000 mg until I see her again. I have backpacking and vacation coming up in less than 2 weeks. Both always trigger an OB, and I'll be backpacking for 4 days, then go to a resort for the next 4 days. I reallyyyy hope I can avoid the dreaded visitor this time. Luckily, an OB usually is only one lesion. It could be much worse.