• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Antiviral meds or not?

I was wondering if in the long run am I better off letting my immune system learn how to control and fight Ob on its own?

Or is it wiser to take meds?

I know this is a question for my doctor but I honestly think patients understand stuff like this better than doctors

I've had herpes nearly 30 years now and I've not taken an antiviral in over 20 years. If your outbreaks are frequent and painful I would say take them. If they are not frequent you probably don't really need them.

The other situation you may consider taking an antiviral is if you're in a relationship with someone who is negative. They can help reduce shedding and lower the chance for transmission. Of course its all up to you.

I also agree with above

H affects everyone differently...I had a primary ob 30 years ago, and not another one that would cause enough symptons to notice until last August when I was officially diagnosed. I did take an antiviral then, for 10 days...and have not taken it since...I've also not had another ob that I am aware of.

Some people get frequent obs and need medicine

I'd look at two things when considering the antivirals.

#1 Are your outbreaks bearable? Because if they are, then I'd let your immune system do it's job. If they are not, then it doesn't hurt to have some help.

#2 Are you at risk of transmitting it to a negative person? If you are in a relationship and that person wants the added protection (or you want the added assurance) then I'd consider it. (Or females that may get pregnant, to protect the baby).

I'm not a fan of medicine, take as little as possible and look for natural cures when available. I do however take an antiviral daily, I fee much better on it. Off it, I feel fluish, fatigued and generally unwell. It supperesses/lessens the severity of outbreaks as well, at least for me. I am married and my husband and I both take antivirals. :)