• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Lesbian sex being a non-carrier

Okay so as far as I know I am not a carrier. Or at least I wasn't until I met my girlfriend. (Going to get checked soon). I met my beautiful girlfriend not that long ago and before we did anything she was upfront and honest with me and told me she had hsv1. After she told me I did some research and actually found this forum which has helped me allot about learning about it. Which by the way.. I just wanted to say that I'm proud of all of you who have the courage to be upfront and honest about this thing.. And you shouldn't be ashamed. Its life and it happens. I know allot of people struggle with people judging however there are people out there.. (Like me) who aren't judgmental of these things.

Anyway I had some questions..

What is the chances of me catching hsv1 on my hand ? I know that you can get it on your mouth and even down below and I know you can get it other places but what is the chance of it spreading to my hand ? Or is that even possible ? While my girlfriend was here I kind of like... Did some stuff with her while she was having an outbreak. Multiple times. I know it prob. Wasn't the smartest thing. But I washed my hands immediately after every time. I didn't go down on her though, while she was having an outbreak, but I did while she wasn't having one.

Also I was googling and something said something about "re-infecting"??

Like for instance if I had herpes.. And I had an outbreak and I touched a sore and then like touched my arm .. It can spread there ? Or is that false ?

Also what are the chances of me catching it while she isn't having an outbreak and not on meds ?

@hellagood1 Unfortunately, there are currently no transmission statistics available to reflect risk within same sex partnerships, nor are there statistics available for risk of contracting HSV1 orally through performing oral sex on someone with HSV1. However, it is believed the risk of contracting HSV1 orally through performing oral sex on a partner with genital HSV1 is lower than the risk of contracting it from kissing a partner whose HSV1 infection is in the oral region. Likewise, it is lower risk than contracting it genitally from receiving oral sex from someone with oral HSV1. This is because the HSV1 virus sheds more frequently from the mouth than the genitals. Keep in mind the majority of adults have HSV1, so if you've kissed other partners in the past, you have almost definitely taken this risk before.

Do you recall if you've ever had a cold sore? If so, you almost definitely already have the HSV1 virus and would not need to worry about contracting it from your current partner. However, lack of a history of cold sores does not mean you are definitely uninfected. Many people with HSV1 do not get cold sores, and many contract it as toddlers and obviously would not remember if they had a primary outbreak of cold sores upon infection.

Transmission to fingers is rare but not impossible. Way, way, way lower risk than kissing an HSV1+ partner. I would certainly avoid direct contact during outbreaks, however.

Reinfection (autoinoculation) can happen when someone is still building antibodies to the virus. After the first few months, once antibodies are established following infection, the risk of this happening is extremely low. It's not impossible but it's rare.

@hellagood1 Unfortunately, there are currently no transmission statistics available to reflect risk within same sex partnerships, nor are there statistics available for risk of contracting HSV1 orally through performing oral sex on someone with HSV1. However, it is believed the risk of contracting HSV1 orally through performing oral sex on a partner with genital HSV1 is lower than the risk of contracting it from kissing a partner whose HSV1 infection is in the oral region. Likewise, it is lower risk than contracting it genitally from receiving oral sex from someone with oral HSV1. This is because the HSV1 virus sheds more frequently from the mouth than the genitals. Keep in mind the majority of adults have HSV1, so if you've kissed other partners in the past, you have almost definitely taken this risk before.

Do you recall if you've ever had a cold sore? If so, you almost definitely already have the HSV1 virus and would not need to worry about contracting it from your current partner. However, lack of a history of cold sores does not mean you are definitely uninfected. Many people with HSV1 do not get cold sores, and many contract it as toddlers and obviously would not remember if they had a primary outbreak of cold sores upon infection.

Transmission to fingers is rare but not impossible. Way, way, way lower risk than kissing an HSV1+ partner. I would certainly avoid direct contact during outbreaks, however.

Reinfection (autoinoculation) can happen when someone is still building antibodies to the virus. After the first few months, once antibodies are established following infection, the risk of this happening is extremely low. It's not impossible but it's rare.

I'm not sure if I have ever got a cold sore before but I think that I have. I know my mother has, she has had a cold sore a couple of times but its very rare.. That is the same as hsv1?

So if I have had a cold sore before I'm like 100% in the clear and don't really have anything to worry about ???

Like I wouldn't catch it down there if its already in my system or I can ? Cuz I really think I have had a cold sore before but I don't remember, I was very young I think if so.

@hellagood1 Yes, 98-99% of cold sores are caused by HSV. HSV1 is HSV1, regardless of location. It's most likely your partner contracted it by receiving oral sex from someone who has HSV1 orally.

Your mother having HSV1 does not mean you have HSV1. It just means that your mother contracted HSV1 at some point, like most people do, often in childhood. Because your current partner had not yet contracted oral HSV1 when she was exposed genitally, she was more vulnerable to contracting it genitally, but it is the same virus, just in a different location.

If someone already has HSV1 in one location and has had it for at least several months, contracting it in a second location is rare. Ditto for HSV2.